Savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand

San Blas to Shelter Bay

14 February 2015
Savarna is now on the hardstand at Shelter Bay Marina for 5 weeks or so until late March when we return to transit the Panama Canal and onto Tahiti, a passage of around 4,000 miles plus.


Savarna at anchor Porvenir

After a couple of days in the San Blas Islands we were hoping for a good easterly wind for the 70mile passage to Shelter Bay. In the event we had a flat calm and motored all the way, with the mainsail up for the last 20 miles.

Approaching the entrance to the Canal just on dusk we were fortunate in finding no shipping traffic to dodge. While 20 plus ships around none were going to bother us while we crossed the shipping lane and snuck into Shelter Bay. Despite advising them of our ETA no dockmaster was in sight so we grabbed a nice looking large berth and stayed put. Dinner ashore and a few beers, then an early start the next morning to drive to a nearby ATM to get some USD so John could go onto the airport for his flight to Miami. It has been great having him on board since we left Grenada and his help with the never ending job list (quite usual when cruising) and watch keeping meant we all got plenty of sleep on the longer passages. Also just a good guy to have around.


First sighting of container ship exiting canal

Shelter Bay is pretty full of yachts, with Jimmy Cornell's Blue Planet odyssey rally in port. There is quite a buzz around the marina as most people are making arrangements to transit the canal so there is a lot of discussion as to the lengthy processes that one must engage in, what agent to use (compulsory), where to source the required 4x 30 metre lines and the fenders required (mostly seems to be 8 tyres wrapped in plastic).

The Canal business is huge (fee $USD400,000 for a cruise ship) and that, a reasonable infrastructure and the Panamanian use of the USD as their currency are the lasting legacy of years of historic USA "involvement " in Panama.


Office building, downtown Panama City

There were 3 other kiwi yachts in the marina and we did meet Chris who has bought a Ron Holland designed 65 foot yacht, built in NZ, (Exit Strategy) but bought in South Carolina. He is living on board with his wife while they complete some repairs.

Overall since leaving Grenada in early January we have covered nearly 1300 miles with good weather conditions all the way and avoiding the big seas that can build up off the Colombian coast through good weather advice. Next is looking forward for the entry into the Pacific and the final home run to Auckland.

Cheers for a few weeks
Keith & Pam
Comments
Vessel Name: Savarna
Vessel Make/Model: Hanse 531
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Keith & Pam Goodall
About:
We took delivery of Savarna ( a hindu word meaning "daughter of the ocean") from the Hanse yard in Griefswald, on the Baltic, in June 2005. The first season we sailed via the south coast of England and wintered over at Denia in Spain. [...]
Extra: Earlier blog postings can be seen on www.yotblog.co.uk/savarna

Savarna of New Zealand

Who: Keith & Pam Goodall
Port: Auckland, New Zealand