25 October 2015
Since the last post a couple of days back we have motored sailed in calm conditions - not what we wanted. The result is a passage significantly slower than anticipated. To put this into context the 3,050 mile passage from Galapagos to the Marquesas took15 days whereas thus the passage of 1,625 miles from Rarotonga to Auckland will take at least 13 days.
Diesel wise we are pretty low so not wanting light winds again although these are forecast for Monday. If this does happen the contingency plan is to seek approval to call into Great Barrier and get a few litres for the final 50 miles into Auckland.
At the time (Sunday morning) we still have 260 miles to go and sailing with a reefed main in 25 knot NW winds with the wind just ahead of the beam making 8 knots. It would be ideal if these conditions held for the next 24 hours or so but the forecast is for 25 plus knot SW winds later today - this will make for longer and more uncomfortable sailing.
We have just had two hours of heavy rain as forecast and this now seems to have passed though.
We expect to arrive in Auckland Tuesday morning although the timing will be dependant upon how many miles we can cover in the NW as once the SW arrives our progress will be slower.
All well on board!
Keith, Goran & John