Dutch Harbor to Watch Hill

30 July 2016
We left Dutch Harbor at 8:00 am and made our way out of Narraganset Bay. It was a beautiful clear day with calm seas ahead of us. Troy was happy to crawl under his beach towel under my chair up on the fly bridge and settle in for a long snooze. I had made refrigerator oatmeal for the trip and it really hit the spot. I added almond milk to dry oatmeal and let it sit overnight, then added yogurt, sliced almonds, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. It was very filling and tasty. A good "on the move" breakfast.

When we rounded Pt. Judith the boat traffic picked up. Because it was such a nice day, there were so many fishing boats all along the coast. As we approached Watch Hill we passed the beautiful Ocean House and a few doors down, Taylor Swifts vacation home and finally the Watch Hill light house. You would think we were almost there, but you have to go quite a ways past Watch Hill, past Napatree Point, then head north toward Stonington, then head back east to get into Watch Hill Cove where the yacht club is. The whole trip took us about 4 hours.

We picked up a mooring in the outer harbor near Simply Grand, Bill and Nancy Plumbs boat. The harbor was full and behind us were hundreds of boats anchored off the beach. After lunch we took the launch into shore, checked in and walked around town. Three are many shops to wander around in. We made our way up to the Ocean House, a beautifully restored five star hotel. We sat at the bar and had martinis and munchies, mine was called "The Pink House" and it was so good. As we walked out of the hotel we stopped and listened to someone playing the harp in the lobby and then outside there were people all dressed in white playing croquet on manicured lawns. It made me think of Downton Abbey.

We headed back to the boat and relaxed with Troy. He seems to be a shedding machine lately so I brushed him for about an hour. I swear it just grows back overnight. We made grilled pizza for dinner and it came out great. We have made it before, but it seemed to work better this time making numerous little pizzas instead of one big one.

While we were eating dinner this horrible smell permeated the boat. We thought it was coming from the boat in front of us, but as it turned out it was our refrigerator. The ac/dc module burnt out and the fridge shut down. We were prepared, as this as happened twice before, so we had a spare module on board the boat. We had to take everything out of the freezer and fridge, take the cabinet doors off, remove the drawers, pull the refrigerator out from the cabinet, replace the module and fuse, put it all back together and it only took about 3 hours. What a pain it was. The galley is so small that it makes it that much more difficult. Now I have to do laundry when we get to Mystic because while we were doing all this the freezer defrosted and water leaked all over the place and I had to use all my towels to mop it up.

Both of us were exhausted after that ordeal and immediately went to bed, no movie tonight.

EYC to Dutch Harbor

29 July 2016
We woke this morning to the sound of rain falling on boat. As much as we need the rain, it is not how we wanted to start our first day on the cruise. We finished our chores mid morning and headed down the bay. I love having an enclosed flybridge. We stayed dry until we reached the Brewer Wickford Cove Marina for fuel. We both got soaked, but not Troy. He stayed warm and dry under his beach towel for the entire trip. He is sporting a new harness, black and white checks, very dashing if I do say so.

By the time we reached Dutch Harbor the rain had stopped and it was not long before the sun was out. I am trying out a bunch of new recipes on this trip. I am calling this my culinary voyage. For lunch today I made a "Spicy California Crab Stack". It was pretty tasty and even stayed together pretty good. I will make a few changes to the recipe next time though.

We headed into shore for a walk into town mid afternoon. We needed a few things at the hardware store and we always find something we need at the marine store. It turned out to be a beautiful day for a walk. Troy was happy to see us return, as he was itching to get out and roam around the deck. He was out on the swim platform, out on the bow, up on the flybridge, then back to his beach towel for a nap.

For dinner the recipe I tried was a "Grilled Chicken Salad with Gazpacho Dressing". We both liked it very much. I had picked up some locally grown hydroponic lettuce at the market. It looks like a bouquet of flowers with the root ball still attached. It was delicious. Then a pear martini and a beautiful sunset. It does not get any better than this.

I brought a bunch of sappy romantic comedies to watch on the trip. Troy and I watched Letters to Juliet tonight. Tomorrow we head to Watch Hill and will be leaving pretty early. Hope the trip is a calm one.
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Hailing Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
Crew: George, Cathy & Troy
WILDFLOWER's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 30 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
Our first mate
6 Photos
Created 29 June 2013

Summer Cruise 2016

Who: George, Cathy & Troy
Port: Edgewood YC - Cranston, RI
PORTS OF CALL: Dutch Harbor, Watch Hill, Mystic Seaport, Stonington and Block Island