s/v Libertad

26 May 2017
20 May 2017
18 May 2017 | Isla Providencia
18 May 2017 | Isla Providencia
17 May 2017 | Grand Cayman to Isla Providencia
16 May 2017 | Grand Cayman to Isla Providencia
09 May 2017 | Grand Cayman
04 May 2017 | Cienfuegos, Cuba
03 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
02 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
01 May 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
28 April 2017 | Jardines de la Reina, Cuba
27 April 2017
26 April 2017 | Cayman Islands
20 April 2017
18 April 2017

Naxos Island Touring

23 June 2014 | Greece
Virginia and Dennis Johns
Fri June 20 The ferry we took from Crete arrived in Naxos at 1400 - a bit late due to the weather. Our boat looked in good shape except that the stainless steel bar on the back edge of the swim step was bent (again). We had put a fender on the back of that step, but evidently that wasn't enough. Nikolaus, the marina manager came by soon thereafter to let us know what had happened as he felt badly about the step. Evidently they had very high winds for a couple days coming from a direction that was on our bow and it pushed the boat back into the dock. We had left the keys in the ignition and the hand crank in the windless and he made use of both of these to move the boat forward a bit and reset the docklines. We were grateful that he had taken that initiative. Damage seems to be cosmetic only but Dennis thinks we won't be able to raise the swim step to shorten the length of the boat -if we need to do that again. While discussing the mooring issue we mentioned that we needed to do some laundry and Nicolaus had the delivery fellow at our boat within about 5 minutes to pick it up and deliver it to the laundress (a person could get used to this laundry service!). We still had our bikes assembled (just strapped them to the aft deck for the trip from Mykonos) and decided to do some touring of Naxos town that afternoon.

Our first stop was the Portara that overlooked the marina. It is the gateway for the unfinished Temple of Apollo (another unfinished temple for Apollo -poor Apollo). There is also a beautiful view from there looking back at town. We saw some young boys near the Portara who were diving from the cliffs down into sea below. Scary. The water was so clear that it didn't look deep enough. Next we visited Mitropolis Square where there are churches on several sides and the ruins of the ancient town of Naxos on one end. The excavation site is fully covered and in a building. It was closed (after 1500) for the day. We cycled down the street that runs on the outside of town and saw the soccer field and beaches (with lots of lounge chairs, all full), a butcher (which we needed), and the city center fountain. We had heard (tripadvisor again) that there were concerts at the Venetian Museum which is located in the old castle in the Kastro area. We called and made reservations for Sat night and wanted to locate the museum. So we wandered through the cobblestone walking streets which, like we experienced on the other Greek islands, were like a labyrinth (guess where the word comes from -yup it's Greek). When in doubt you just head downhill until you reach the sea and can get your bearings. We have found maps of these small towns on the islands like Naxos (Lonely Planet Guide and other sources) but they aren't very useful as the names of the walkways are noted in English on the map but in Greek on the street signs and the two are not often similar enough to decipher. The Kastro area housed the nobles and other wealthy families and you can see the crests of the original owners carved in marble plaques above the doorways. It is a lovely area and we did find the old castle and the concert venue as well as the Archaeological Museum. The museum building is a historical monument built 1600-1800. It has five floors and you enter on the top floor and then walk down through the 'basement' floors - called this because they are built into the hill, but have windows on the one side looking out toward the sea. No pictures allowed here so you will be spared another round of pictures of artifacts in our gallery.

Sat June 21 We rented a car to tour the island. It is a relatively small island and we had no problem covering it in a day. We drove in a loop, clockwise, starting on the west coast where we stopped at the Eggares Olive Press Museum. We were given a history of olive oil production while touring the museum which contained the press equipment dating back to 1884. Did you know most of the oil is in the olive pit? (It takes 15 kilos of olives makes 1 kilo of oil). Then we had a tasting of oil, various olive spreads, orange bread made with olive oil, and some local fruit jams. We bought some of all except the orange bread and only because it wasn't for sale - it was delicious. At the northern tip of the island we visited the site of the large kouros (marble statue) of Dionysos lying in the ancient marble quarry where it was being carved. The thought is that it was abandoned when the face cracked accidentally. Very interesting to see it in situ, imagining the original sculptor working on the piece and wondering how in the world they would get it from the quarry to the temple without breaking it -guess they didn't have to worry about that this time. Once we were stopped by a large herd of goats making its way down the road. Another time there was a smaller herd, about 20, of sheep standing in the middle of the road all huddled like a rugby scrum around the ram in the center. Dennis had to get out of the car and encourage them to move on. Heading down the eastern side of the center of the island we visited Panagia Drossiani near Moni, considered the most unusual church on Naxos. It dates back to the 6th century and its domes are made of field stones. We stopped for lunch at Filoti to fuel up for our next activity which was a hike up to 'another' Cave of Zeus. On the way up, we met a young (and fit) American couple who had climbed to the mountain top from the other side and were headed down our side. This time there was no entry fee and the cave was even a bit larger than the one we visited on Crete. We had read that we would need flashlights and we used them to explore the deepest reaches of the cave. This was not a limestone cave so there were no stalactities/stalagmites but interesting just the same and thankfully cool after our climb. We hit Bazeo's tower, a 17th century castle now privately owned and charging an entry fee that we decided against and ended with Dimitra's Temple which we got to climb all around on.

We ate dinner on the boat and then walked up to the castle for the 2130 concert. It was a lovely setting -outdoors in that ancient building with a view out to the sun setting on the ocean. The program was Jazz and Blues -amazing that we're thousands of miles from the US, on a little island in the middle of the Aegean Sea and we're listening to original American music. What was even more amazing was that we're pretty sure there was only one other American couple in the audience. The two gentlemen performers played multiple instruments and one also sang. We recognized many of the songs on the program - pieces from Fats Waller, George Gershwin, Billy Holiday, Spencer Williams, Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, and the Beatles. At intermission there was wine tasting of local Naxos wines. It was a wonderful evening -we fully enjoyed it. They played three encore songs and the venue manager finally had to apologize for stopping the show, but we had reached the curfew time for that neighborhood.

Sun June 22 Lots of boats coming into the marina again as higher winds are being forecast for a few days out. We now have 2 boats rafted outside of us. We already were barely on to the end of the concrete pier but the harbormaster proved to be very skilled at positioning the boats -giving specific directions on where to drop their anchor, how far back to come, where he wants your docklines cleated on your boat, etc. But leaving will be a challenge and everyone on the rafted up boats have to step along our boat and over our gangway to reach the pier (they seemed to have very heavy feet when we heard them return from town later that night). We spent the day working on our blog and doing some provisioning -surprisingly we haven't had any trouble getting all the fruits, vegetables, and meats we want on these small, remote islands. The daily ferries do a good job of keeping the markets stocked up and much of the produce is locally grown.

Mon June 23 We were going to leave today and the other two boats would have to release to let us out, but the winds did pipe up so we decided to stay another day. One of the other boats was going to leave that following day and it would make it easier on all of us to delay. We had two nights of the 3 of us rafted together but it meant a lot of traffic on our boat and across our stern gangplank. Somehow the hand rails that Dennis had added to the gangway got broken. But maybe they saved someone from going in the drink! Another maintenance project added to the list. (When we did leave the next day Nikolaus, the harbormaster, orchestrated us out and we had no problems.)

We thoroughly enjoyed our time touring both the town and the island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Maramu, 46'
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara, California
Crew: Dennis Johns, Virginia Johns
About:
We bought our Amel in 2000 and spent the next 11 years preparing for our retirement cruise - a westward circumnavigation. We are members of the Santa Barbara Sail and Power Squadron and have taken many of the USPS courses. [...]
Libertad's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 24 May 2017
4 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
59 Photos
Created 9 May 2017
91 Photos
Created 28 April 2017
19 Photos
Created 26 April 2017
23 Photos
Created 9 April 2017
58 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
6 Photos
Created 27 March 2017
12 Photos
Created 19 March 2017
48 Photos
Created 11 March 2017
34 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2017
26 Photos
Created 27 February 2017
67 Photos
Created 6 February 2017
33 Photos
Created 25 January 2017
39 Photos
Created 23 January 2017
18 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
46 Photos
Created 17 January 2017
48 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 31 December 2015
41 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
sorry...these pictures are showing in reverse order. I had to do this on an album that has the maximum number of pictures of course! Please start at last pic and back-up through them. again, sorry!
120 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
28 Photos
Created 28 September 2015
83 Photos
Created 25 September 2015
41 Photos
Created 23 September 2015
49 Photos
Created 13 September 2015
47 Photos
Created 15 August 2015
66 Photos
Created 12 August 2015
78 Photos
Created 11 August 2015
46 Photos
Created 9 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 4 August 2015
88 Photos
Created 3 August 2015
56 Photos
Created 29 July 2015
102 Photos
Created 25 July 2015
Catacombs, Luxembourg Gardens, Orsay, Seine River, Night Life at Eiffel and Statue of Liberty
67 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
Louvre, L'Orangerie, Notre Dame, Pompidou, Stravinsky Fountain
52 Photos
Created 19 July 2015
Versailles
49 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Monet Gardens, Sacre Coeur, Eiffel Tower, Rodin Museum, Arc de Triomphe
57 Photos
Created 15 July 2015
25 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Santa Barbara Summer Solstice Parade 2015
35 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
73 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
73 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
19 Photos
Created 7 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
66 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
76 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
30 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
35 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
76 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
12 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
75 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
73 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
93 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
113 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
46 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
19 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
47 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 9 August 2014
116 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
48 Photos
Created 10 July 2014
105 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
110 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
85 Photos
Created 25 June 2014
59 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
9 Photos
Created 13 June 2014
61 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
83 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
37 Photos
Created 5 June 2014
56 Photos
Created 5 June 2014
16 Photos
Created 26 May 2014
75 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
27 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
68 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
83 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
103 Photos
Created 7 May 2014
94 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
116 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
96 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
103 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
59 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
107 Photos
Created 4 March 2014
120 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 December 2013
40 Photos
Created 25 October 2013
104 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
112 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
97 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
31 Photos
Created 25 September 2013
117 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
110 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
110 Photos
Created 30 July 2013
61 Photos
Created 29 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 27 May 2013
59 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
77 Photos
Created 25 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
Feb 21 added a couple photos
14 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
13 Photos
Created 30 January 2013
80 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
56 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
34 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
53 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
55 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
21 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
8 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
33 Photos
Created 1 September 2012
106 Photos
Created 1 September 2012
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
sorry that these are out of order, we crossed in February on our way from Panama to Ecuador - thought these were posted but guess not, so here they are
6 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
added many more pictures
45 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
13 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
117 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
115 Photos
Created 12 April 2012
94 Photos
Created 13 March 2012
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
9 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 13 February 2012
84 Photos
Created 13 February 2012
10 Photos
Created 30 December 2011
55 Photos
Created 19 December 2011
68 Photos
Created 12 July 2011
42 Photos
Created 3 July 2011
61 Photos
Created 24 June 2011
32 Photos
Created 11 June 2011
68 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
47 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
32 Photos
Created 1 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 22 April 2011
82 Photos
Created 6 April 2011
36 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
43 Photos
Created 21 March 2011
42 Photos
Created 21 March 2011
38 Photos
Created 5 March 2011
37 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
14 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
30 Photos
Created 27 February 2011
Departed San Diego Feb 1, 2011 headed for Mexico.
24 Photos
Created 26 February 2011
Left Santa Barbara January 2011 on the start of our retirement adventure.
8 Photos
Created 25 February 2011
2008 we did our third Baja Haha rally. This time our crew were all Santa Barbara Sail and Power Squadron members. There were 5 of us aboard for the trip down; 3 brought the boat home.
56 Photos
Created 30 September 2010