SCAPPATELLA

n. scah-pah-TELL'-ah 1. Italian word for "escapade"; an adventurous, unconventional act or undertaking 2. a journey with a little bit of intrigue; the secret escapade of two lovers 3. an affair, or in Rome, "a quickie in the bushes"

17 April 2010 | Green Island, Antigua to Fajardo, Puerto Rico
10 March 2010 | Bequia
08 March 2010 | Martinique
20 February 2010 | St. Vincent & The Grenadines
30 January 2010 | Bequia (St. Vincent & The Grenadines)
28 January 2010 | St. Lucia
25 January 2010 | St. Lucia
15 January 2010 | Green Island, Antigua
12 January 2010 | Green Island, Antigua
05 January 2010 | Back in Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
04 January 2010 | just south of Jolly Harbor, Antigua
01 January 2010 | Great Bird Island, Antigua
30 December 2009 | Parham, Antigua
29 December 2009 | Rabbit & Redhead Islands, Antigua
26 December 2009 | North Sound, Antigua
22 December 2009 | Antigua
19 December 2009 | St. Croix, USVI
14 December 2009 | Christensaid, St. Croix
10 December 2009 | Christiansted, St. Croix
09 December 2009 | Somewhere in the Caribbean Sea

Chasing Ranger

19 April 2009 | Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta
Today was absolutely one of the highlights of our season! Intent on some more close up looks - and photos - of some of the most beautiful yachts in the world, we hightailed it out into the big swells in our little 15hp dinghy. We misjudged the timing of the 2nd leg and were a bit late, so we pounded our way upwind (what is it with us and this upwind theme?!) giving our dinghy all she had...and....we made it! Wow - there's nothing quite like sitting in the water in a little 12-foot inflatable boat, a hundred feet or so away 120 tons or so of wood, fiberglass and steel, groaning under the intense pressure of the rigging as she tacks thru a turn. We were close enough to one of the boats to be awestruck by the speed of the crew as they worked the giant winches (grinders, actually) making it look like there was hardly any pressure at all on those massive lines and sails!

We cut across the sea as Ranger, my favorite, completed her turn and raised her giant spinnaker (a beautiful downwind sail). Hot on Ranger's heels, we flew over wave-tops, surfing down the face of some and pounding/skipping our way down others as we drafted off her stern. Trying to balance myself and my little digital (non-waterproof) camera in the air, I snapped photos as Louis expertly piloted our dinghy with a vengeance. After a bit our boat - and our backs - couldn't keep up with Ranger's pace so we headed to the finish line while Ranger, Velsheda and the others sailed to the next mark, spinnakers flying. Velsheda and Ranger approached the finish with a few minutes between them, and sad to say, Velsheda was the winner of today's exciting race.
Comments
Vessel Name: Scappatella
Vessel Make/Model: Lafitte 44
Hailing Port: Coloma, CA
Crew: Janet Maineri
Scappatella's Photos - Main
6 Photos
Created 7 April 2008
Our 1st 6 weeks in the boatyard...cleaning, waxing, sanding, painting, organizing, etc.
17 Photos
Created 29 March 2008

PROFILE

Who: Janet Maineri
Port: Coloma, CA

MAP BLOCK TEST