Let's Go Schoonering!

18 July 2014 | St. Pierre, Martinique
18 June 2014 | Deshaies Guadeloupe
03 June 2014 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua
28 May 2014 | Cat Club, Falmouth Harbour Antigua
24 May 2014 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 April 2014 | Antigua
30 April 2014 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
25 April 2014 | Falmouth Harbour
12 April 2014 | Saint Martin
07 April 2014 | Key West to San Juan
28 March 2014 | Key West
19 February 2014 | Safe Harbour Marine, Stock Island
03 November 2013
28 October 2013 | Safe Harbour Marina, Stock Island
16 October 2013 | Annapolis Md
25 August 2013 | Baltimore Md

Annapolis to Key West

28 October 2013 | Safe Harbour Marina, Stock Island
Monk
We're off!
After 25 years of preparation and procrastination, it was finally time to take in lines and cast away cares. Or at least cash in one set of cares for another.
Well provisioned by Mark and Francesca Green, we slip away from our dock in Arnold Md for points south. Leslie Heins and Michael Miller (with us since before the beginning) also joined Julie and I for the premier leg of this journey. Motoring down the Bay into a light wind gave the new engine and propeller a good workout--and no complaints were had then or now.
By midnight we are schoonering at a pleasant clip with a west wind. But it did not take long for our first casualty to manifest itself--the jib sheet caught the lip of the mushroom vent on the aft dorade box, and the whole assemble is tossed overboard. Oh well. Another Jimmy Wray project when we get to Key West.
Through the Bay Bridge Tunnel shortly before dawn, and into the Atlantic. Rolling down the Carolina coast, gybing around Diamond Shoals, being passed by the Schooner America as she heads shoreward towards Morehead City, dancing with dolphins, catching tuna and wahoo (fresh sashimi anyone?), lifeline to pulpit parting off Georgia, triatic stay (between the masts) coming loose as we near Jacksonville, playing bumper boats with the traffic in and out of Port Everglades, wing and wing south of Miami, gybing our way (more than desired!) for the turn to Key West, inside the reef prior to Marathon (little less sporty!), up the Stock Island channel at 4:30 in the a.m., finding our slip occupied (fortunately! Might have been on the challenging side to park without the dinghy as push boat), and over to the fuel dock at the new marina to await the dawn. Drinks and showers for all, and needed rest. Over to Safe Harbour later that morning, greeted by all the old friends still on the docks where Mistress made her home for so many years.
We expect to stay here in the marina for a couple months, then onto the mooring for a couple more before continuing on to the Pacific. Plenty of time to fix and hone all the little, and not so little, items which need to be addressed--but there will always be something to address--just like life.
Be well, and Thrive!
Monk
Comments
Vessel Name: Mistress
Vessel Make/Model: 1930 Vintage Schooner
Hailing Port: Key West ~ Annapolis
Crew: Monk and Tutu
About:
Once the flagship of the New York Yacht Club, Schooner Mistress was built in Shelbourne Nova Scotia in 1930 for George Roosevelt, President Teddy Roosevelt’s nephew. [...]
Home Page: www.schoonermistress.net
Social:
Mistress's Photos - Main
Beyond Antigua
18 Photos
Created 17 July 2014
25 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
Fashionistas in Antigua
6 Photos
Created 30 April 2014
9 Photos
Created 7 April 2014
After 25 yrs, the galley is finally completed and PERFECT! (check out the cool saw handle on drawer by Jimmy Wray and dish rack by Capt. Glenn)
7 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 28 October 2013