Let's Go Schoonering!

18 July 2014 | St. Pierre, Martinique
18 June 2014 | Deshaies Guadeloupe
03 June 2014 | Nonsuch Bay, Antigua
28 May 2014 | Cat Club, Falmouth Harbour Antigua
24 May 2014 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 April 2014 | Antigua
30 April 2014 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
25 April 2014 | Falmouth Harbour
12 April 2014 | Saint Martin
07 April 2014 | Key West to San Juan
28 March 2014 | Key West
19 February 2014 | Safe Harbour Marine, Stock Island
03 November 2013
28 October 2013 | Safe Harbour Marina, Stock Island
16 October 2013 | Annapolis Md
25 August 2013 | Baltimore Md

Hit Land Again

12 April 2014 | Saint Martin
Tutu
Well, we came into port yesterday afternoon, just about the time we expected to arrive. However, the island was Saint Martin, not Antigua. Had we pushed thru yesterday, perhaps we would be in Antigua but worse for the wear. The winds started to change forcing us to point right into it, blowing 25kts with 8-10 ft waves and an occasional larger one. Not a comfortable ride. The forward stateroom has been unlivable since day one when we buried the bow with a huge wave while departing Puerto Rico. Towels everywhere to soak up water coming thru the skylights. Yesterday, at 0400 the auto pilot decided to do its own thing and we went about accidentally (jib and fore were up only, motor running but coughing now and then as all the crud at the bottom was getting tossed up and clogging the filters. Engine make horrible sounds when they are not happy). With all the motion of the sheet, the jib block came undone and Glenn had to man-handle it back down while the sail was full. Tacked back onto course and then the foresail blew out - a nice split right along the seam. Well, now this was getting rather annoying as a McCormick would say. Mistress has taken quite the beating since leaving Key West. All our brightwork is completely gone; Glenn has never seen it so striped down to bare wood. And it looks like we won't have time to make ourselves pretty before the races in Antigua, but we aren't vain. She's just a little sad looking at the moment. Oh yes, in the midst of all the unexpected tacking, the jib sheet caught on the outboard for the dinghy and, again, broke the handle! The excitement never ends. One is already on order and Glenn will glue this back together in the meantime.

So, it is morning here in beautiful Saint Martin. I can easily see staying here awhile. Had an amazing meal at a nearby Bistro last night and trying to get back in my French groove. Glenn heads to the sailmaker shortly and I to the outdoor farmers market. The crew is all asleep (they tend to stay out much later than we do in port.) Our window for getting to Antigua looks small - a monday eve or night departure - but we are only 12 hrs away!

From here on, we are only going downwind - wherever that may take us. For many reasons, it seems pretty darn clear that going around the world with Blue Planet Odyssey or by ourselves is not going to happen. And we are both fine with that. In fact, in light of the recent passages, perhaps I could say relieved. I am not certain Mistress could handle it without Glenn spending his entire time ashore fixing her - which is, I strongly believe, what would happen... and that makes the destination rather pointless. So, plans continue to change. Who knows. Perhaps we will just hang in the Caribbean for awhile. Certainly not a bad alternative!
Comments
Vessel Name: Mistress
Vessel Make/Model: 1930 Vintage Schooner
Hailing Port: Key West ~ Annapolis
Crew: Monk and Tutu
About:
Once the flagship of the New York Yacht Club, Schooner Mistress was built in Shelbourne Nova Scotia in 1930 for George Roosevelt, President Teddy Roosevelt’s nephew. [...]
Home Page: www.schoonermistress.net
Social:
Mistress's Photos - Main
Beyond Antigua
18 Photos
Created 17 July 2014
25 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
Fashionistas in Antigua
6 Photos
Created 30 April 2014
9 Photos
Created 7 April 2014
After 25 yrs, the galley is finally completed and PERFECT! (check out the cool saw handle on drawer by Jimmy Wray and dish rack by Capt. Glenn)
7 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 28 October 2013