Endless summer on SCII

Final week in Turkey

19 September 2019
Nerida Matthews | Eather 32 degrees

Bozburun
11-12 September
It was a short motor from Symi to Bozburun as there was not a breath of wind, where we checked back into Turkey. We spent one night in Bozburun harbour and then anchored out in the bay surrounding Bozburun for another night. After being in town harbours for a couple of nights it was good to be able to swim in crystal clear water.

Bozuk Buku
13 September
We tied up to one of the three jetties in this remote but picturesque bay, after deciding that we would patronise the jetty with the good food versus the one closest to the byzantine fort. We enjoyed a sensational meal of 7 meze, seabass, calamari and garlic shrimps.

The highlight was a large sea turtle which swam around our boat, periodically coming to the surface for air. We quietly got into the water with our snorkels and swam with the turtle, it did not seem to mind us being in the water as it glided underneath us.

Sail to Kocuk Kuyruk
14 September

Today was a very mixed bag of weather for the 6-hour trip to Fethiye bay near Gocek. The day started with calm sunny conditions then the wind slowly built up over the morning. We were soon flying along (for a cruising yacht!) with about 15 to 20 knots of wind at 8 to 8.5 knots with reefed sails. As we neared our destination the wind dropped again so we motored the last part into one of our favourite little bays. That afternoon a large thunderstorm built up with heavy rain for a short time - our first rain in about 10 weeks. By evening it was calm and clear again. Today we had a bit of everything weather wise but was always still warm.

Kapi Creek
15 September
Kapi creek is a small bay that is very picturesque with a restaurant that has extensive jetties. Fortunately, we arrived fairly early as there was a least 2 flotilla groups in as well as other yachts arriving. There were at least 40 yachts in the bay and more anchored nearby. Quite a gold mine for the restaurant. See video attached.

One of the waiters who claimed to be part of the owing family at the restaurant took a liking to Naomi. He welcomed us to paradise and suggested that he and Naomi could have some 'kissy kissy'. His overly amorous behaviour somewhat spoilt our evening. He may have thought he had found a new partner in his life or maybe just a expected big tip at the end of the night but sulked away after he was not successful with either option. Naomi won't be returning there if we were ever in the area again!

The meal was quite good though - a meze selection, red mullet and calamari.

Gocek
16 - 19 September
After 15 weeks we have finally returned to our home port of Gocek. We have a couple of days to do cleaning of SCII, a bit of maintenance and then she was lifted out of the water until next year. We have loved every day on board, especially sharing the last 2 weeks with Naomi, and are looking forward to returning next year.

For those that may be interested, we have covered a total of 880 nautical miles. We used a total of 518 litres of diesel at an average of 3.4 litres per hour. (Could have used less fuel but we tend to sail when conditions suit and fire up the motor if not.) There were no major problems with our yacht, the good work our friends Bram and Ahmet who assist with maintenance certainly pays off.

Thank you to those who left messages on our blog, we love to get the feedback. But our travels are not over, we are off to Morocco with Naomi! Stand by for our next update from there as land based tourists.

Also thanks to Elizabeth for picking up we had written the incorrect month August instead of September. Must have been wishful thinking that we still had a month to go!
Comments
Vessel Name: Southern Comfort II
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47, 2009
Hailing Port: Melbourne, Australia
Crew: Glenn and Nerida Matthews
About: Having almost completed the charter yacht catalogue over the last 25 years, we are fulfilling our long term dream of living the endless summer. In April 2017 we purchased our yacht and plan to spend several months every year in the Med.
Southern Comfort II's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 12 April 2024
21 Photos
Created 13 August 2023
7 Photos
Created 5 August 2023
8 Photos
Created 25 July 2023
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2023
7 Photos
Created 9 July 2023
10 Photos
Created 28 June 2023
17 Photos
Created 24 June 2023
9 Photos
Created 16 June 2023
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2023
30 Photos
Created 25 July 2022
94 Photos
Created 10 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 29 April 2022
3 Photos
Created 29 September 2019
30 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
58 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
22 Photos
Created 3 September 2018
60 Photos
Created 10 July 2018
Coast of Turkey
48 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
Our pride and joy!
16 Photos
Created 1 January 2018