Endless summer on SCII

Gorkova Korfezi (Gorkova Gulf)

04 August 2022
Nerida Matthews | Sunny 32 degrees, light winds
Thank you to everyone for your comments on our blog. We love reading them and hearing some news from home.

We have spent the last two weeks in the gulf of Gorkova. We have mainly been anchored out in lovely bays, spending the days swimming, and just chilling out reading. We have been having lots of BBQs on board and have generally avoided towns, except going into Sogut for reprovisioning.

Just south of Sogut is a large bay of Degirmen Buku. At the head of the bay is the Turkish President's holiday home. When we visited in 2019 all boats were asked to leave the large bay as the President was going to be staying. This year the president stayed away and we had a lovely couple of days in the part of the bay referred to as English harbour. The inlet gets its name as the English Special Boat Squadron used this inlet as a base during the Second World War. The presidential holiday home meant there was police boats patrolling the area. Occasionally you would hear sirens and see flashing lights with a police boat in pursuits of a jet ski or boat that got too close the exclusion area surrounding the house. It also meant that Glenn could not fly his drone due to area being geo-blocked.

There were about 30 boats in and around the inlet, ranging from massive motor boats, gulets, small motor boats as well as sailing yachts. The proximity to Sogut meant that during the day small boats travelled the bay selling ice-creams. A Magnum ice-cream delivered to your boar cost 50 Turkish Lira or about $A5.

We have found that we are generally the only non-Turkish boat in the area, which on the few occasions we have eaten ashore there has been considerable surprise that we are from Australia and we have been treated like royalty.

Today we are anchored at Mersincik at the western end of the gulf. The water is crystal clear and there is a large turtle swimming around the boat. Sadly it has not got close enough yet that we could get video footage for inclusion in the blog.

Tomorrow we leave the Gokova Korfezi and sail to the ancient ruins of Knidos.

This week the weather has been great ranging from 25-32 degrees, with light winds.


Comments
Vessel Name: Southern Comfort II
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 47, 2009
Hailing Port: Melbourne, Australia
Crew: Glenn and Nerida Matthews
About: Having almost completed the charter yacht catalogue over the last 25 years, we are fulfilling our long term dream of living the endless summer. In April 2017 we purchased our yacht and plan to spend several months every year in the Med.
Southern Comfort II's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 12 April 2024
21 Photos
Created 13 August 2023
7 Photos
Created 5 August 2023
8 Photos
Created 25 July 2023
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2023
7 Photos
Created 9 July 2023
10 Photos
Created 28 June 2023
17 Photos
Created 24 June 2023
9 Photos
Created 16 June 2023
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2023
30 Photos
Created 25 July 2022
94 Photos
Created 10 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 29 April 2022
3 Photos
Created 29 September 2019
30 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
58 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
22 Photos
Created 3 September 2018
60 Photos
Created 10 July 2018
Coast of Turkey
48 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
Our pride and joy!
16 Photos
Created 1 January 2018