Scolamanzi

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

15 April 2012 | Soper's Hole
09 April 2012 | San Juan
08 April 2012 | Ensenada Honda - Culebra
06 April 2012 | Charlotte Amalie
30 March 2012 | Hurricane Hole, St John
25 March 2012 | Francis Bay, St John USVI
18 March 2012
17 March 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club
15 March 2012 | Spanish Town – Virgin Gorda
09 March 2012 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
09 March 2012 | Great Camanoe Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Cane Garden Bay - Tortola, BVI
09 March 2012 | Jost van Dyke Island, BVI
09 March 2012 | Tortola, BVI
07 March 2012 | Peter Island - White Bay and Road Town,Tortola
19 February 2012 | Peaks Yacht Services, Chaguaramas, Trinidad
19 February 2012 | Trinidad

Montserrat:

08 March 2011 | Montserrat: sailing past the southern tip
Henriette - Great Sailing Weather
It looks like two different lands, sailing past it! The northern side a lush green in contrast with the awesome Soufriere Hill dramatic starkly beautiful volcano, barren and smoking against the skyline! The ruins and remains of the capital Plymouth reminds you of the forces of nature pounded on humankind over the years.
The whole town with all its houses, windmill towers and buildings buried to their roofs in volcanic ash! Boulders the size of large houses scattered around the town lying miles below the summit! We did not stop here and in contrast with the suggestions in the sailing guides, we went around the southern part closest to the volcano (which is very much active and boiling as we speak!). Due to the fertility of the ash, new growth forms pretty quickly over it which makes it difficult to see just how severe the ash deposits are!
The first eruption in 1995 destroyed the capital city of Plymouth. I assume they had ample warning as no lost of lives are mentioned but it resulted in a mass exodus of nearly 2 thirds of the 11 000 population - Leaving a ghost town behind. In 2003 the huge volcanic dome collapsed -0 a sign that the volcano will go to rest. This lead to the reopening of many areas (there is still restrictions to where you can go and how close you can sail to it!) - Several feet of ash were removed from the roads. People started repairing damaged houses and getting their lives back on track again. Then in the beginning of 2006 another spurt of dome growth was notice with lots of activity and a major event is now imminent! The exclusion zones are back to where they were and some areas were evacuated again.
From the sea it looks spectacular and I hope the pictures (that was taken in very bad light - almost sunset hours) using the entire zoom on my Nikon that I have will do justice to the dramatic sets of the scene...
Comments
Vessel Name: Scolamanzi
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 4600
Hailing Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
About:
Johann is owner and skipper with wife and first mate Henriette. The two of us will take Scolamanzi in February 2012 on to the BVI, Bahamas and Bermuda - where Chriso (a crew member and friend from Australia) will join us in the ARC to take her to the Azores and Portugal. [...]
Extra: We take delivery of Scolamanzi in Cape Town during September 2010. After commissioning and provisioning departure will be end of October on leg one to Trinidad for our first season in the Caribbean. 20 February 2012 : We are now on our second leg of our voyage from Trinidad to Turkey....

Trinidad to Turkey 2012

Who: Johann Scholtz & Henriette Scholtz
Port: Mackay, Queensland, Australia