Bert terHart's Epic Journey

Bert, a resident of Gabriola island, BC, left Victoria on Vancouver Island for his lifelong dream of sailing single-handed around the world, west to east, via the five capes, using only celestial navigation, and all in seven months.

Hope

There was a sign attached to a coconut floating in the sea a while back. We came across it just as we were attempting our end around of this persistent trough to the south and west. The sign read "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Despite the strangeness of it, I paid it no never mind thinking it a joke. Turns out the joke is on me.

I have entered some peculiar sailor's purgatory where even hoping for wind is asking too much. We are becalmed on a sea the likes of which have never experienced. Seaburban is literally spinning 360 degree circles non-stop while being assaulted fore, aft, and abeam by waves that are so irregular I cannot tell neither which direction they came from nor where they are going. The surface is rippled as if there is a strong current flowing over shallow bank and the waves don't break, they just heap up steep-sided pyramids and collapse.

Inside, the motion is severe and quick enough to put adrift things that have never before come adrift. Important things like propane tanks. I tried to get from the galley to the chart table with a half-full cup of water. The water never made it. And just to add insult to injury, it looks to be our worst day's run yet.

It didn't start out this way today so I am thinking this is temporary. I am also thinking that if it lasts much longer, I will turn the engine on and motor the hell away from here.

"Stupid is as stupid does" as Forrest's mom would say and it's looking pretty stupid hanging out here much longer.

Comments