Bert terHart's Epic Journey

Bert, a resident of Gabriola island, BC, left Victoria on Vancouver Island for his lifelong dream of sailing single-handed around the world, west to east, via the five capes, using only celestial navigation, and all in seven months.

Who is Salty?

Many have asked about this companion aboard Seaburban. Well, there is indeed a story. Good friend and fellow member of the Gabriola Power and Sail Squadron, Bos Malcolm, had for many, many years, a stuffed toy seal he named "Salty". Salty accompanied Bos for 20 years on his own voyages, never failing to help navigate him home safely. Bos thought it appropriate that Salty help guide Bert and Seaburban on the Epic Journey and gifted his faithful companion to Bert. Bos advised Bert that "he isn't much of a talker, but is a really great listener!"

There is a parallel with Wilson, Tom Hanks' companion during his years on a lonely island in "Castaway". However we expect Bert's return home safely in a matter of months, not years, and with Salty in much better shape than was Wilson!

And a message to Bert and Salty: Champagne in adequate volume awaits with many who will gather to celebrate your return. However we expect out of respect that Salty will leave the lion's share to his "Kaptin".

Comments