seaBusiness

Sailing our J30 and writing about our adventures out of Rockport, Texas

05 April 2010 | Aransas Bay
15 February 2010 | Rockport
16 August 2009 | Corpus Christi Bay - Texas
15 August 2009 | Rockport to Corpus Christi
24 July 2009 | Port Aransas to RYC
23 June 2009 | Aransas Bay

April Fools Regatta - RYC - Spring Series

05 April 2010 | Aransas Bay
Jon/Awesome weather
Drove down Friday afternoon to find the batteries dead on seaBusiness, they had provided a full three years of use. After renewing those, everything worked great. Got in the water and gave the bottom a light scrub of fuzz off the bottom since the paint job was doing its thing since done last December. Attended the Skipper's meeting at RYC and caught up with some old friends, plus had dinner with Mom.

Saturday the wind was very light after blowing like crazy all week. So light I was able to even look at the 155% partly up just for grins. All I could secure for crew was Dennis, but it was all we needed. The wind slowly built to around 14 out of the East and Dennis and I showed up to the starting line for the two race regatta like we knew what we were doing. We had a fair start and our primary competitor in the All Sails class crossed the line in front of us, but we quickly caught and passed them going to windward. The Non-Spinn class started in front of us and we managed to work our way up the fleet. A straight downwind leg after rounding the mark plus we were a bit lazy to put up the Spinn as we should have heading back. Therefore, we finished about fourth overall and we thought 1st in class, but corrected time had the Just Chillin boat beat us by about four seconds.

The second race, we were more prepared and manuvered into position for a most excellent start hitting the line on the gun, right one Wing and a Prayer's stern. Great trimming by Dennis had us full speed at the gun and ahead of Just Chillin, and away we went. We were first to the windward mark ahead of Wing and a Prayer and the Non-Spinn class after passing everyone since they started again in front of us. We again were to old and lazy to fly the Spinn but worked the downwind leg with Wing and a Prayer passing us just before the downwind rounding, but that is a good thing for we thought it was a single lap race again. But when we saw Bill round the downwind mark and go back to windward, well lets just say that saved us. We quickly moved over, rounded to the correct side and back we raced to windward. This time rounding the windward mark and getting back to the finish line just behind Wing and a Prayer and more than twenty minutes in front of Just Chillin. We did secure first 1st in class this time and second overall.

What a great day on the water, the boat was fast the wind was great and we had a excellent time. Next race I plan to make is April 30, I hope. Always looking for crew, maybe better luck next time.

All for now.

Jon
Comments
Vessel Name: sea Business
Vessel Make/Model: J boats / J30
Hailing Port: Rockport, TX
Crew: Jon, Charles, Erin, Ashten, Ashley, Chris

Rockport Sailing on sea Business

Who: Jon, Charles, Erin, Ashten, Ashley, Chris
Port: Rockport, TX