Sea Cadet Voyage

Members of the largest Sea Cadet unit in New Zealand are preparing for their first international voyage. Follow them here

Vessel Name: Shkhinah
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley ketch
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Skipper: LT M Coldren, Mate: Ms K Holmes, Watch Officer: Ms S Chitty
About: WOCDT A Radford, LCDT LCDT S Myers, LCDT JP Schryvers, ABCDT F Gauler and L Ware
Extra: For the Second time in a decade, Sea Cadets are sailing internationally. This time from New Zealand to Fiji. They are supported by the fantastic Nelson community
Home Page: http://www.tsTalisman.com
15 July 2010
14 July 2010
13 July 2010
12 July 2010
10 July 2010
03 July 2010
02 July 2010 | Nelson
01 July 2010
23 November 2009 | Nelson, NZ
Recent Blog Posts
15 July 2010

Nous avons arrive!!

UPDATE REPORT TEN - 15 JULY 2010

14 July 2010

Shooting stars

UPDATE REPORT NINE - 14 JULY 2010

13 July 2010

Only 350 miles to go!

Name of Cadet Sending Message from Yacht

12 July 2010

Bypassing Norfolk Island

UPDATE REPORT SEVEN - 12 JULY 2010

12 July 2010

Its swell

UPDATE REPORT SIX - 11 JULY 2010

10 July 2010

The end of seasickness

UPDATE REPORT FIVE - 10 JULY 2010

A letter of thanks

01 July 2010
Dave Sullivan, Chair of Support Committee
Friday 2nd July 2010 - Message from Dave Sullivan Chair SCANZ & Nelson Navy League

It is a glorious day in Nelson; Simply Wild is packed to the gunnels with provisions, fuel, food and six excited cadets. They set off today at 12:30 heading to New Plymouth with an eye on the approaching low. Their real goal as we know is the Pacific Ocean and the delights of New Caledonia; gentle seas, steady winds and warm greetings.

Even without a major sponsor, the Sea Cadets of T.S. Talisman, have nearly raised the $19,000 it will cost to fund their adventure to New Caledonia. Many local individuals and small businesses have supported the aims of the trip to provide local teenagers with an outstanding and testing experience. Six teenagers and reserves have been training for almost a year to prepare themselves for the challenge of sailing a 50 foot yacht on a blue water trip. The cadets will be accompanied by Milo Coldren, Lynley Murtagh and Catherine Holmes.

"The generosity of individuals and small business has been fantastic. Their interest and financial support has motivated everyone to strive towards their goals" said Dave Sullivan - Chair of Support Committee. Kendal Jones, Aimex, CNX computing, Hampidjan, Solander, Simpsons Electrical and Instrumental, Abel Tasman Skydive and Coldstore Nelson Ltd have all supported legs of the journey.

Many smaller businesses supplied goods and services, which helped with the running of a very successful quiz night. Individuals and businesses have supported the adventure by sponsoring miles of the trip or through direct donations. In recognition of the special relationship between the local RSA and cadet forces, a sizeable contribution was made by the RSA TRUST INC towards the trip.

All supporters will be kept up to date with regular email up-dates provided by the cadets while at sea. The Nelson Amateur Radio Club have set up a radio in the unit to communicate with the crew while at sea.

The crew made final preparations to the boat as a possible weather window approached this week. Everything has come together nicely, the group have successfully completed their preparation (including working towards their Boat Master qualification), sponsorship has covered a large proportion of the considerable costs and the cadets are excited and focused. The training for the voyage has been kindly sponsored by SCANZ National.

Milo Coldren is the unit commander and skipper of Simply Wild - the yacht the cadets will sail to New Caledonia. He has worked tirelessly to prepare the crew, encourage the support team and talk to sponsors. "Nelson is a fantastic place full of optimistic and hard working individuals willing to support youth initiatives" Milo Coldren.


Comments
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:11713
Shkhinah's Photos -