Sea Dream

Freedom to see more, sail more and learn more.

05 August 2011 | Panzance
28 July 2011 | Falmouth
24 July 2011 | Fowey
23 July 2011 | Feowey
20 July 2011 | Salcombe
19 July 2011 | Dartmouth
17 July 2011 | Dartmouth
30 April 2011 | Gosport
25 March 2011 | Gosport
23 August 2010 | Back home in Gosport
23 August 2010 | St Peter Port
23 August 2010 | St-Cast-Le-Guildo
23 August 2010 | Binic
11 August 2010 | Pontrieux
06 August 2010 | St Peter Port
31 July 2010 | Dartmouth - Kingswear
26 July 2010 | Teignmouth
23 July 2010 | Brixham
09 July 2010 | Cowes and back

Painpol to Pontrieux

11 August 2010 | Pontrieux
Rain then sun
Monday 9 August 2010
We were awoken by the sound of the bow truster on the big gin palace which had been in Paimpol for the past 2 days going. As I looked to confirm it was the gin palace going I noticed the visibility was only a few hundred metres, it was foggy!

Because of the fog a quick decision was made to go or stay. To stay would mean leave it until tomorrow and the weather forecast did not look to good for Tuesday. To go meant going through the lock and down the narrow channel in poor visibility. Taking there were 4 other yachts also getting ready to depart we went ahead with our plan and by 0720 we slipped our lines and was heading for the lock, in the fog!
Taking it was foggy, there was a lot of activity around the lock with several other yachts heading out.

Once clear of the lock we followed our reverse track on the chart potter, once we were 2.5 miles the visibility started to improve and the wind increased. As we were only going for a short sail we set the genoa and were soon under sail at 5 knots.

We sailed to a small anchorage on the Southwest side of the Ile de Brehat where we dropped the anchor. The sun was shining and we did some sun bathing and had some lunch - very relaxing.

Just before 15:00 we pulled up the anchor and departed heading towards Pontrieux which meant going under the suspension bridge at Pont de Lezardrieux with just a few metres (6m) of clearance and then up the river to the lock at Pontrieux. Once through the lock it is just 1 mile to the moorings. Pontrieux was a little bit busy with other boats, mainly Brits. The berthing master was waiting and put us along side a old metal boat which up for sale - the metal boat would be better sold for scrap!

Once settled and as it was a very pleasant evening with temperature of 24C. we had dinner outside.

Tuesday 10 August 2010
Weather was as forecast, overcast with rain showers. Pontrieux is well sheltered and about 12 miles inland so we did not get the worst of the weather. We had a relaxing day eating lunch out the the Schooner Pub and spending some time at the free wifi at the marina office.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 32
Hailing Port: Gosport, England
Crew: Crew: Bob & Claire
About: Bob - Ye old Sea Dog. Claire - Keeps old sea dog on short lead!
Extra: We do not sail if:- Strong winds are forecast - Rain is forecast - Fog is forecast - Rough weather is forecast - Or it is night... However, we have done them all!!

Sea Dream

Who: Crew: Bob & Claire
Port: Gosport, England