Sea Dream

Freedom to see more, sail more and learn more.

05 August 2011 | Panzance
28 July 2011 | Falmouth
24 July 2011 | Fowey
23 July 2011 | Feowey
20 July 2011 | Salcombe
19 July 2011 | Dartmouth
17 July 2011 | Dartmouth
30 April 2011 | Gosport
25 March 2011 | Gosport
23 August 2010 | Back home in Gosport
23 August 2010 | St Peter Port
23 August 2010 | St-Cast-Le-Guildo
23 August 2010 | Binic
11 August 2010 | Pontrieux
06 August 2010 | St Peter Port
31 July 2010 | Dartmouth - Kingswear
26 July 2010 | Teignmouth
23 July 2010 | Brixham
09 July 2010 | Cowes and back

St Peter Port - Alderney - Yarmouth - Gosport

23 August 2010 | Back home in Gosport
Wind, gales, rain, sun & fog - you name it we had it!!
Saturday (Afternoon) 21 August 2010
We departed St Peter Port just before 16:00 there was a light southerly wind blowing so we motor sailed under the jib all the way to Alderney.

We arrived in Alderney round 20:00, there were 1 or 2 free mooring buoys so we picked up a user friendly one, it had a pick-up line on it!

Sunday 22 August 2010
There was a mist handing over Braye Harbour and the weather did not look much better with gale warnings forecast for later (12 hours time). The decision was made to sail across the channel and make for Yarmouth. We left Braye Harbour just before 07:00. Yesterdays southerly wind was still blowing so we rolled out the genoa and set course for the Needles.

The wind slowly reduced and just as we arrived at the East bound shipping lane so did the visibility. With visibility sometimes down to just a few hundred metres we motor sailed keeping a very close eye on the Automatic Identification System (AIS) so we could see where all the big ships were. Then it started raining and the visibility improved to about 1.5 miles. As we approached the West bound traffic lane the rain stopped and the visibility came down again and this time some of the big ships got really close and we did have to make some small changes to our course to miss them, thank heavens for the AIS!

Once clear of the shipping lanes the sun shone and the temperature went up to over 23C, it became hot and humid so we did some sun berthing. It did not last and about half an hour the sea mist was back and it was raining which it did all the way back until we reached Yarmouth.

We arrived in Yarmouth just before 20:00 and rafted up along side another boat had some dinner and went to sleep.

Monday 23 August 2010
A gale went through over night and there was still a strong Westerly wind blowing.
We chose to leave the shelter of Yarmouth and run for home.

We sailed under the Genoa all the way back to Gosport and on arrival the sun was shinning and the wind had reduced to a force 4. Sea Dreams berth was free and we safely berthed her.

Later in the day it rained and the wind did increase although there was some later afternoon sun. In the evening we ate ashore.

Over the past 5 weeks we have visited some nice places and sailed some 550 miles and used about 40 litres of fuel.

Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 32
Hailing Port: Gosport, England
Crew: Crew: Bob & Claire
About: Bob - Ye old Sea Dog. Claire - Keeps old sea dog on short lead!
Extra: We do not sail if:- Strong winds are forecast - Rain is forecast - Fog is forecast - Rough weather is forecast - Or it is night... However, we have done them all!!

Sea Dream

Who: Crew: Bob & Claire
Port: Gosport, England