Seaforth - The Holiday of a Lifetime

A pair of Kiwis who realised that life isn't a dress rehearsal and its time to go see the world.

01 July 2017 | Susui, Vanua Balavu, Fiji
12 June 2017 | Port Maurelle, Vava'u
10 June 2017 | Ha'apai Beach Resort, Pangai
09 June 2017 | Ha'apai, Tonga
04 June 2017 | North Minerva Reef
02 June 2017 | South Minerva Reef
10 May 2017 | Orokawa Bay, Bay of Islands
02 May 2017 | Opua, NZ
26 April 2017 | Opua, Bay of Islands
26 April 2017 | Opua, Bay of Islands
09 April 2017 | Urupukapuka Island, Bay of Islands
05 April 2017 | Gulf Harbour
24 March 2017
08 February 2017
25 January 2017
23 January 2017
22 April 2014
22 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island, NZ
21 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island, NZ
20 December 2013 | Smokehouse Bay, Great Barrier Island

The Practicalities of Passagemaking

09 June 2017 | Ha'apai, Tonga
Steve
When discussing the concept of sailing on long distance passages, people have asked us in the past “What do you do at night? Are there places to stop?”. Of course, the answer is that we just keep the boat sailing and we take turns sleeping.

Because there is just the two of us onboard, we run a 3 hour watch system …. that’s 3 hours on and 3 hours off, and in theory that allows you 12 hours to sleep, albeit in small chunks. In reality, it works out a little different, however, it does work well for us.

Three hours is a long time in the middle of the night to be awake, alert and to be managing the boat. On the other hand three hours is not a long time to sleep … and for the off-watch person, that three hours is often not actually three hours. By the time you’ve given the person coming on watch a chance to wake up and get themselves oriented, briefed them on what’s happened over the last three hours, taken the opportunity of two of you on deck to make any sail changes or adjustments, had a chat (because otherwise you don’t see much of each other), got out of your deck gear, got below, had a wash, cleaned your teeth, sorted yourself out and hopped into bed, you’ve probably now only got about 2-2 ½ hours available for sleeping.

And while we’re talking about sleeping, there’s a lot to learn there too. I’m normally a side sleeper, and on land (or in a quiet bay) it works just fine, but on a boat that is sailing over large waves in mid-ocean, side sleeping is just not practical … you get thrown around in the bed. I very quickly developed a new sleeping position that I call “the starfish”. This is essentially lying on your front and spreading your arms and legs out to try to make yourself as stable as possible (remember, your partner is up in the cockpit trying to stay awake, so the risk of being told off for taking up too much bed is very small). It works well in moderate seas, however, when things get a bit rougher there is a variation I call “the octopus” …… its like the starfish except that you jam your feet and knees up against bulkheads etc, and hang on with your hands, all in a bid to stop being tossed around in your bed.

And speaking of boats bouncing around and practicalities, there’s the entertaining business of doing your business to consider. If it’s difficult to find stability in bed at sea, it’s even trickier when you’re trying to sit on a loo. Luckily, the heads on most boats are quite small spaces so you can jam your elbows and knees and feet and hands against things to stay perched on the throne, but there’s always the worry of the unexpected lurch just as you’re at your most vulnerable … with your pants around your ankles.

Even the simplest things can become adventurous and acrobatic experiences.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seaforth
Vessel Make/Model: Davidson 47
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Steve & Ade
About: So we're a couple in our 40s and we've decided to abandon a responsible life with careers and stuff, sell the farm and the cars and go sailing instead. Stuff it, I might die before I get to retire so let's have fun now .... there might be time to work later.
Extra: Oh yeah ... we've got 2 dogs as well .... border collies (cute!). That's gonna make life interesting on a boat isn't it? Oh and in case you were wondering, that isn't a photo of either of us in the string vest ... or anyone we know either.
Social:

Seaforth

Who: Steve & Ade
Port: Auckland, New Zealand