Seahawk Flies to Naples, FL

The crew of Last Dance will sail her from her home port of Pirates Cove (near Gulf Shores, AL) to the Exumas in the Bahamas and return, January-April 2008.

31 May 2017 | The Wizard of Id aka Retired Commander Ray- not really!
30 May 2017 | The Seahawk crew minus Roger, the photographer
27 May 2017 | Chihuly Glass- St Petersburg, FL, Exhibition
27 May 2017 | Perdido Bay Homeport
27 May 2017 | Bluewater Bay Marina Sunset
27 May 2017 | Cooks Only Restaurant- Panama City Marina
27 May 2017 | Catholic Church, Boca Grande, FL
27 May 2017 | Clearwater Beach Fading in the Distance
29 April 2017 | Seahawk in her Clearwater Beach Marina Perch
29 April 2017 | Sunset at Galati's, Holmes Beach
29 April 2017 | Gasparilla Marina, Placida, FL
29 April 2017 | Temporary Anchorage- Overheating, Uncle Henry's Marina Channel
29 April 2017 | Banyan Tree Archway, Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island
28 April 2017 | Houseboat Bar along ICW near San Carlos bay
28 April 2017 | Caloosahatchee River near Ft Mayers
28 April 2017 | Garden at Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Naples Pier
21 April 2017 | Sara's Favorite, Edison Estate, Ft Myers, FL
21 April 2017 | Edison's Summer Home, FT Myers, FL

A Visitation

21 April 2017 | In the Gulf
Bradenton to Venice Outside (i.e., in the Gulf) Sunday, April 16, 2017

The coastal marine forecast looked good for a morning sail in the gulf with easterly winds around 12kts at least until 1400 when the wind was predicted to veer to southeasterly.

Following a hearty breakfast, we got underway about 0840, made a tight turn in the channel without need of our ailing jury rigged reverse latch, and headed for Longboat Pass. The wind was as predicted so we flew the jib and the main and wished we had a screacher. The prior owner had blown out the screacher and would not replace it for the price we had negotiated for the boat (a screacher is a light head sail that combines the function of a spinnaker and a reaching sail). It is a significant expense and must wait it's turn in our priority list of needs. The engine was secured and we made a comfortable 5-6 kts along our PIM for about three hours even though we were plowing 2 foot seas on the port bow. One of life's unavoidable tradeoffs; when the wind is right the sea is not.

During our three hours of bliss we were visited by another pretty little bird very similar to our previous guest. This time we quickly secured the fans to prevent another tragedy. Although only about 6nm offshore this little bird perched on the starboard side forward of the cockpit and did not move for a couple of hours. It was in the helmsman's blind spot and was not visible from the salon so we had to go out to the starboard stern to check on it. Roger and I had gone back to one hour watches so we could better balance our sailing time and one person not hog it all; so I happened to have the watch when our stowaway, apparently rested, turned into the wind and took to the air in a fluttering of wings that caused it to hover briefly then turned downwind and was gone in a flash headed for the beach. A happy ending and farewell to our feathered friend.

The wind veered as forecast after lunch so we lit off the iron genny, struck sail, and headed toward Venice Inlet arriving at the Crows' Nest Marina about 1600, landed without incident, tied up, hooked up shore power, and spliced the mainbrace. One might notice a pattern forming.

We moored bow on to a McGreagor 26 Motor Sailor named DULCINEA the name of Jean and Gerry's first boat, also a McGreagor. Nostalgia moment.

The Crows' Nest restaurant, acclaimed for superb seafood was booked through Monday so we opted for the Crows' Nest Tavern which was below and used the same kitchen...delicious! Our waitress was a lovely young lady from Maine who provided Roger and Sara several tips on where to go and what to do for their upcoming trip.

There being no further mischief to be had, we retired to Seahawk for the evening routine of cards and blog writing.

Respectfully submitted,

G L Ray, CDR,SS,USNR-Ret










Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 Mc
Hailing Port: Lillian, AL
Crew: Jean and Gerry; Sara and Roger
About:
After professional careers in Louisiana, Jean and Gerry retired to build their dream home on the water and pursue a long-held dream of sailing to the islands in the winter and to Nova Scotia in the summer. Sara and Roger both retired from Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). [...]
Extra: Seahawk is moored in picturesque Perdido Bay near the community of Lillian, AL. The foursome previously co-owned Last Dance, a Beneteau Oceanis 321 which they sailed to the Exumas of the Bahamas in 2008. That cruise lasted 3 months and covered 2000 nm.