Seahawk Flies to Naples, FL

The crew of Last Dance will sail her from her home port of Pirates Cove (near Gulf Shores, AL) to the Exumas in the Bahamas and return, January-April 2008.

31 May 2017 | The Wizard of Id aka Retired Commander Ray- not really!
30 May 2017 | The Seahawk crew minus Roger, the photographer
27 May 2017 | Chihuly Glass- St Petersburg, FL, Exhibition
27 May 2017 | Perdido Bay Homeport
27 May 2017 | Bluewater Bay Marina Sunset
27 May 2017 | Cooks Only Restaurant- Panama City Marina
27 May 2017 | Catholic Church, Boca Grande, FL
27 May 2017 | Clearwater Beach Fading in the Distance
29 April 2017 | Seahawk in her Clearwater Beach Marina Perch
29 April 2017 | Sunset at Galati's, Holmes Beach
29 April 2017 | Gasparilla Marina, Placida, FL
29 April 2017 | Temporary Anchorage- Overheating, Uncle Henry's Marina Channel
29 April 2017 | Banyan Tree Archway, Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island
28 April 2017 | Houseboat Bar along ICW near San Carlos bay
28 April 2017 | Caloosahatchee River near Ft Mayers
28 April 2017 | Garden at Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Naples Pier
21 April 2017 | Sara's Favorite, Edison Estate, Ft Myers, FL
21 April 2017 | Edison's Summer Home, FT Myers, FL

The Morning Fog May Fill The Air

27 January 2008 | Gulf of Mexico
GLR/Fog
Day 13 - Thursday, 1-24-08 - Gulf of Mexico to Clearwater

......but we do care; we are fifty miles offshore and this ain't San Francisco! From midnight to 0400 it was cold and clear with no wind to speak of, so we continued on the Iron Genny, steaming as before. Roger and Gerry adopted a natural two-hour watch rotation that seemed to fit their cycadian cycle better than the four-hour routine they had planned. One would sleep in the cockpit while the other would man the wheel. No surface contacts were noted and an overcast sky added to the somber mood.

Roger's $600 steaming light (a long story that must await our return) failed early in the evening, so we were improperly lighted for operating on the engine. Bulb repacement was not an option until we reached Clearwater. A steaming light bulb failure was presumed as the foredeck light was still bright, another item on the out-of-commission (OOC) list for repair during our stay in the Tampa area.

At about 0300 Jean arose and made hot chocolate for the watch, a true angel of mercy. She also brought a blanket to cover Gerry and may have saved his left leg from needing amputation. He had been sleeping and had not noticed the cold had numbed him from the waist down. He was asleep with his Leatherman tool in his left pocket and did not realize it until the blanket returned normal feeling and blood flow along with the sensation of pain. (He had a sore left hip for a couple of days but no permanent damage.)

More good news, around 0400 the fog returned as we caught up with the weak cold front that passed as we left Carrabelle; only now it had gone stationary, begging the question "are we having fun yet? " Visibility dropped to fifty yards at times as we commenced sounding fog signals using the " huff 'n puffer " to save our air horn. We only had two cans of air, another item for our Tampa replenishment list. Our overly-friendly fog stayed with us all the way to Clearwater where, on arrival of course, the wind leaped up to 20 kts., and along with a 3 kt. ebb current, further complicated our landing at the Clearwater Municipal Marina. Then we had to endure the idiot with the bullhorn on a passing pirate-bedecked square rigger lookalike there for the Gasparilla festival who proceeded to critique our landing which had become somewhat awkward with the wind and current trying to return us to Carrabelle.

The bright spot in the day was seeing Roger's brother David on the pier with the offer of lodging, warm showers, and a wonderful meal. David helped us moor in our assigned berth and drove us to his lovely home in Tampa where his wife Martha served delicious cuban sandwiches and deviled crab, a welcome repast for weary, bedraggled sailors home from the sea.

Our first offshore leg is now completed. We began in fog and ended in fog with the only significant wind arriving in time to make life exciting on the landing approach. It was completed with no serious injuries or significant damage and in aviation terminology "any landing you walk away from is a good landing." (GLR)











Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 Mc
Hailing Port: Lillian, AL
Crew: Jean and Gerry; Sara and Roger
About:
After professional careers in Louisiana, Jean and Gerry retired to build their dream home on the water and pursue a long-held dream of sailing to the islands in the winter and to Nova Scotia in the summer. Sara and Roger both retired from Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). [...]
Extra: Seahawk is moored in picturesque Perdido Bay near the community of Lillian, AL. The foursome previously co-owned Last Dance, a Beneteau Oceanis 321 which they sailed to the Exumas of the Bahamas in 2008. That cruise lasted 3 months and covered 2000 nm.