Seahawk Flies to Naples, FL

The crew of Last Dance will sail her from her home port of Pirates Cove (near Gulf Shores, AL) to the Exumas in the Bahamas and return, January-April 2008.

31 May 2017 | The Wizard of Id aka Retired Commander Ray- not really!
30 May 2017 | The Seahawk crew minus Roger, the photographer
27 May 2017 | Chihuly Glass- St Petersburg, FL, Exhibition
27 May 2017 | Perdido Bay Homeport
27 May 2017 | Bluewater Bay Marina Sunset
27 May 2017 | Cooks Only Restaurant- Panama City Marina
27 May 2017 | Catholic Church, Boca Grande, FL
27 May 2017 | Clearwater Beach Fading in the Distance
29 April 2017 | Seahawk in her Clearwater Beach Marina Perch
29 April 2017 | Sunset at Galati's, Holmes Beach
29 April 2017 | Gasparilla Marina, Placida, FL
29 April 2017 | Temporary Anchorage- Overheating, Uncle Henry's Marina Channel
29 April 2017 | Banyan Tree Archway, Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island
28 April 2017 | Houseboat Bar along ICW near San Carlos bay
28 April 2017 | Caloosahatchee River near Ft Mayers
28 April 2017 | Garden at Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Naples Pier
21 April 2017 | Sara's Favorite, Edison Estate, Ft Myers, FL
21 April 2017 | Edison's Summer Home, FT Myers, FL

Dancing a short leg into a skinny slip

10 February 2008 | Sombrero Resort & Marina- Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
Day 30 - Saturday, 2-09-08- Sombrero Resort & Marina, Boot Key Harbor, Marathon

After a restful but somewhat warm and humid night at the Marathon Marina and Boatyard following the "fouled prop incident" the previous day, Gerry expertly steered us away from the pier, backing in very tight quarters, and then for fuel at the fuel dock at the entrance to the Marina. Our leg for the day was very short, actually less than two miles to the Sombrero Resort & Marina located at the extreme eastern end of the Harbor. The short move was necessitated to restock our food stores at a supermarket convenient to the Marina prior to the crossing to the Bahamas. The Dockmaster indicated that the slip was narrow (12'3") but should be adequate for our 11 �' beam boat. Well it took a giant "boat horn" but we squeezed into the slip which we later measured to be 11' 9" wide- whew, all of about 3" to spare! In the slip, the view to the stern (west) is a narrow waterway bordered by a thick stand of mangroves. It was a fairly relaxed day, with most of the crew getting naps, the gulls grocery shopping and the guys doing some chores on the boat - yes, there is always something to do on a boat! The gulls were fortunate to strike up a conversation with Ralph Milligan of Toronto, Canada, the skipper of Lady Maria, a 40' something trawler moored next to us who agreed to drive them to and from the supermarket. When they returned, the guys were in the middle of another "project", so once the food was loaded on board they went for a swim at the Resort pool. Ralph and his wife Maria (aka Lady Maria) joined us for drinks and snacks on board Last Dance and were introduced to "Jimcicles" and Sara's "famous chutney". We enjoyed swapping boating stories and life stories with them as well as sharing the sunset over the mangroves. Following "happy hour", the crew enjoyed a tasty meal of rotisserie chicken, fresh squash, noodles and fresh tomatoes sent over by Maria. Tomorrow, we anticipate about a 40 nm leg to Marina Del Ray on Key Largo. A front is moving through tonight bringing winds (predicted) of up to 20-25 knots out of the Northeast over the next several days. During the day tomorrow, the winds are expected to be up to 20 knots but the seas a relatively moderate 2-3 ft in the Hawke Channel which is a wide natural channel between the land masses and the outer reef that essentially parallels the Keys. In anticipation of the relatively high winds, we'll probably start out the day with the first reef in the mainsail. Based on NOAA weather predictions over the next several days, we anticipate that we will be able to make our crossing to Bimini in the Bahamas on Wednesday. Stay tuned! (RKS)
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 Mc
Hailing Port: Lillian, AL
Crew: Jean and Gerry; Sara and Roger
About:
After professional careers in Louisiana, Jean and Gerry retired to build their dream home on the water and pursue a long-held dream of sailing to the islands in the winter and to Nova Scotia in the summer. Sara and Roger both retired from Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). [...]
Extra: Seahawk is moored in picturesque Perdido Bay near the community of Lillian, AL. The foursome previously co-owned Last Dance, a Beneteau Oceanis 321 which they sailed to the Exumas of the Bahamas in 2008. That cruise lasted 3 months and covered 2000 nm.