Seahawk Flies to Naples, FL

The crew of Last Dance will sail her from her home port of Pirates Cove (near Gulf Shores, AL) to the Exumas in the Bahamas and return, January-April 2008.

31 May 2017 | The Wizard of Id aka Retired Commander Ray- not really!
30 May 2017 | The Seahawk crew minus Roger, the photographer
27 May 2017 | Chihuly Glass- St Petersburg, FL, Exhibition
27 May 2017 | Perdido Bay Homeport
27 May 2017 | Bluewater Bay Marina Sunset
27 May 2017 | Cooks Only Restaurant- Panama City Marina
27 May 2017 | Catholic Church, Boca Grande, FL
27 May 2017 | Clearwater Beach Fading in the Distance
29 April 2017 | Seahawk in her Clearwater Beach Marina Perch
29 April 2017 | Sunset at Galati's, Holmes Beach
29 April 2017 | Gasparilla Marina, Placida, FL
29 April 2017 | Temporary Anchorage- Overheating, Uncle Henry's Marina Channel
29 April 2017 | Banyan Tree Archway, Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island
28 April 2017 | Houseboat Bar along ICW near San Carlos bay
28 April 2017 | Caloosahatchee River near Ft Mayers
28 April 2017 | Garden at Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Naples Pier
21 April 2017 | Sara's Favorite, Edison Estate, Ft Myers, FL
21 April 2017 | Edison's Summer Home, FT Myers, FL

A Bimini Jewel- the man and the house

23 February 2008 | Chub Cay Marina, Chub Cay, Berry Islands
Day 41 - Wednesday, 2-20-08 - Alicetown, BahamasNorth Bimini

After a leisurely breakfast, Jean, Sara and Roger struck out south on the King's Highway to the beach at Entrance Point to get a little exercise and look for shells. The Highway is a 12'-16' concrete road with no sidewalks on the east side of North Bimini which runs through their "commercial district." The sand bar at Entrance Point was featured in the photograph of the beached sailboat in an earlier blog. We had learned that a dive boat had dragged the sailboat off the bar and that it was moored in a marina south of us. Roger walked out to see the boat and found that other than a deflated dinghy, the Catalina 42 MKII, Dream Quest, from Annapolis seemed in good shape although we did hear that the boat had a bent rudder post. Roger was not able to talk to the boat's owner, so the cause of the grounding is still a mystery.

It was a bright sunny day which accented the vivid turquoise and blue colors of the water. The group passed the local cemetery located on a small promontory overlooking the water and framed by lovely palm trees. Upon reaching the Point, the group separated, each searching for treasures... beach glass, shells and coral. Roger left the group and decided to follow the Queen's Highway, an even smaller roadway on the west (beach) side of the island. He was rewarded with grand vistas through palm trees and across the beach to the Straits of Florida (Atlantic Ocean). He found a sunset bar (not operating at the time) and learned two important facts- the population of Bimini is 1,717 and that fresh conch salad is the "Viagra of the Bahamas". His next discovery was a chance meeting of Ashley Saunders, a native of the Island, an author of its history and the builder of "Dolphin House." Having only a short time to view the exterior of this 15-year work in progress, Roger promised to return with the Last Dance crew at 1 pm for a complete tour. As agreed, Ashley met the crew and proceeded to take us on a grand tour of the structure which draws its name from the large dolphin mosaics which adorn the exterior and interior walls of the structure which houses living quarters, guest quarters, shop/museum, and a boutique under development. The structure also houses Ashley's collection of books by prize winning authors. While the basic construction was concrete frame with in-fill concrete blocks, the exterior and interior walls were adorned with recycled ceramic tile, coral, and conch shells, and other found materials in an eclectic but pleasing pattern. Limerock from South Bimini was used for the low walls, planters and entrance way. One of his guests termed her quarters as a "smorgasbord for the eyes". As it turned out, Ashley was a teacher and had received a BS degree from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, having been provided a full scholarship by the British to prepare him to teach. He had been instrumental in bringing curriculum reform to the Island. Needless to say, it was an enjoyable and informative visit to the Dolphin House.

After returning to the boat to pick up the dirty laundry, the crew minus Gerry, walked north on the King's Highway to the Laundromat where Roger left the girls and proceeded to visit Ainsley Saunders, Ashley's brother, and the only boat builder on the Island. Ainsley was also a gracious host and showed Roger the 18' wooden bone fishing boats he custom builds for customers at $35,000! The hulls are designed to float in extremely shallow water (mostly a flat bottom) and still operate safely and comfortably in choppy water (a slight V-bottom). Ainsly proudly showed Roger his Coretta King autographed book and an article in the Southern Distinction Magazine about his boats and said that he had meet the Queen of England, President Nixon and other dignitaries. On his return to the Laundry to pick up the girls, Roger passed a herd of foraging goats (one of Sara's favorite animals) and a house with a boat alongside, both painted the same shade of lime green. The crew returned to the Big Game Marina for a dinner of baby back ribs, went back to the boat and planned to rise at 530 am the following morning to prepare for the crossing across the Grand Bahamas Bank. (RKS)
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 Mc
Hailing Port: Lillian, AL
Crew: Jean and Gerry; Sara and Roger
About:
After professional careers in Louisiana, Jean and Gerry retired to build their dream home on the water and pursue a long-held dream of sailing to the islands in the winter and to Nova Scotia in the summer. Sara and Roger both retired from Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). [...]
Extra: Seahawk is moored in picturesque Perdido Bay near the community of Lillian, AL. The foursome previously co-owned Last Dance, a Beneteau Oceanis 321 which they sailed to the Exumas of the Bahamas in 2008. That cruise lasted 3 months and covered 2000 nm.