Seahawk Flies to Naples, FL

The crew of Last Dance will sail her from her home port of Pirates Cove (near Gulf Shores, AL) to the Exumas in the Bahamas and return, January-April 2008.

31 May 2017 | The Wizard of Id aka Retired Commander Ray- not really!
30 May 2017 | The Seahawk crew minus Roger, the photographer
27 May 2017 | Chihuly Glass- St Petersburg, FL, Exhibition
27 May 2017 | Perdido Bay Homeport
27 May 2017 | Bluewater Bay Marina Sunset
27 May 2017 | Cooks Only Restaurant- Panama City Marina
27 May 2017 | Catholic Church, Boca Grande, FL
27 May 2017 | Clearwater Beach Fading in the Distance
29 April 2017 | Seahawk in her Clearwater Beach Marina Perch
29 April 2017 | Sunset at Galati's, Holmes Beach
29 April 2017 | Gasparilla Marina, Placida, FL
29 April 2017 | Temporary Anchorage- Overheating, Uncle Henry's Marina Channel
29 April 2017 | Banyan Tree Archway, Boca Grande, Gasparilla Island
28 April 2017 | Houseboat Bar along ICW near San Carlos bay
28 April 2017 | Caloosahatchee River near Ft Mayers
28 April 2017 | Garden at Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Palm Cottage, Naples, FL
28 April 2017 | Naples Pier
21 April 2017 | Sara's Favorite, Edison Estate, Ft Myers, FL
21 April 2017 | Edison's Summer Home, FT Myers, FL

Shellin'...

29 March 2008 | Useppa Island Club, Pine Island Sound
Days 76 & 77 - Thursday and Friday, 3-27 and 3-28--08 - Sanibel Marina

Woke up to hot blueberry muffins and a newspaper delivered to the boat. Sara had to take a cab all the way out to Captiva to rent a car. Roger talked the Hertz fella into subtracting the cab fare, since they were out of cars at the site close to us. The guys rebedded the inspection plate in the anchor locker as well as repaired the port winch (which required removal and rebedding of the winch- ah, you have to love these sailboats!) while she was gone.

Sara got back in time to join the crew as they waited in line for 45 minutes to eat at Grandma Dot's here at the marina. Seems it's the best restaurant on the island. Had some of their specialties like spinach salad with broiled scallops, curried lobster salad and coconut shrimp.

Jean and Sara shopped while the guys napped. Returned in time for Jimcicles and to have chicken and sausage gumbo. Lots of mullet circled near the boat and an osprey flew back and forth between nearby trees.

The crew agreed to get up and go to Bowman's Beach before daybreak Friday to beat the crowds to the best shells. Set the clock to wake up at 6, planning to grab the hot muffins and take off. They didn't arrive in time so we left without them (making some of the crew a little grumpy). We were the first ones on the beach, but the old timers soon overtook us. You have to race down the beach picking up the larger shells as they roll in. You can't stop, as we did, to inspect the piles that are already there. Still, we managed to get a few baby conchs and a number of sea urchins. It's against the law now to take live specimens.

Stayed several hours and then headed for brunch at a fun restaurant called "The Island Cow." The steak and eggs were fabulous and Roger enjoyed breakfast enchiladas filled with blackbeans and topped with salsa, fried eggs, and sour cream. We cleaned up and rested at the boat for awhile. A fisherman caught two snook from under the boat on the next pier. One was quite large.

All but Gerry then went gallery hopping. Found several that feature local artists. Decided the fused glass jewelry was way overpriced. Sara was impressed by some pendants that had heavy silver wire sculpted into designs around them. She has to get ready for Fest for All within three weeks after she gets back, so will have to wait awhile to try new designs.

Had take-out from Grandma Dot's for early supper and then the girls headed back to the beach. Picked up small shells to make shell balls when we get back. We had wine and played cards while the guys set up the route for tomorrow's leg to Useppa Island.

Plan to go back to the beach before dawn tomorrow for one last chance at the treasures. Are we nuts, or what?! (SBS)
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 Mc
Hailing Port: Lillian, AL
Crew: Jean and Gerry; Sara and Roger
About:
After professional careers in Louisiana, Jean and Gerry retired to build their dream home on the water and pursue a long-held dream of sailing to the islands in the winter and to Nova Scotia in the summer. Sara and Roger both retired from Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). [...]
Extra: Seahawk is moored in picturesque Perdido Bay near the community of Lillian, AL. The foursome previously co-owned Last Dance, a Beneteau Oceanis 321 which they sailed to the Exumas of the Bahamas in 2008. That cruise lasted 3 months and covered 2000 nm.