Riding the Waves on Seahorse

Easy Day

Up around 0700 and Tom and Cynthia tried out the new shower head Ed bought yesterday- it was 1000 percent better than the original - yeah! Ed was up making coffee and we had English muffins in the newly purchased toaster.

After checking the weather, the tropical system coming from the Gulf predicts 40 mph winds on Friday. Since we need to be in Norfolk by Thursday to avoid this weather we are skipping St. Michaels (see you next go around) and heading further south.


Averaging about 10 knots with a 1 knot boost. This has been with us for the majority of today. We saw some blue sky and glimpses of sun, however still a lot of cloud coverage. Had sandwiches for lunch. Cara came up to announce we didn't have a can opener - she was going to make tuna fish. She then went below around 1400 to begin preparing tonight's dinner of making chicken cacciatore, when she came upstairs to announce again "no can opener for the canned tomatoes "; Ed seemed confident that he could open the can when needed - keep reading to find out how.

As we looked at the charts and time there wasn't a marina further down that we wouldn't get to until dark. So we decided to stay around Solomon's Island and make it a long day to Norfolk (90 miles) tomorrow.

We stopped for fuel and while fueling Tom called the Solomon Yacht Club to see if they had reciprocity with the Buffalo Yacht Club (of which we are members) and it turns out they did. We also asked at the fuel dock - it had a small store- if they sold can openers - they did not, but she said there was a 7-eleven about a mile away. So after fueling we went around the corner and tied up at SYC.

What a wonderful and friendly club. Tom went in to check in and I followed shortly to see if they had a can opener. John, the bartender said yes but I needed to bring the cans there since it was an industrial size and bolted to a table. No problem, so I went back to get the cans. On my way back I met
Tom on the dock and Tony (the dock master)who had a hand held can opener in his hand. Eureka! Problem solved. I asked if I could buy it but he said no.

After Cara got the dinner prepared to cook for 45 min. we went to the clubhouse for drinks (Tom was given tickets for 2 free drinks).

Back to the boat for a delicious dinner. After dinner, friends of Ed and Cara's - Norman and Betsy Mason came for a visit - they live 10 min. from the club. We sat on the upper deck and had a nice visit. They have done extensive cruising and it was enjoyable hearing their stories.

When they left around 2100 the 4 of us said goodnight. Planning on leaving early tomorrow and get to Norfolk before the weather and wind arrive.

Comments