Riding the Waves on Seahorse

The parade continues

Up at 5:45 - light at 6:00. Made English muffins and coffee before we pulled the power cord. Ed made extra coffee and put into his thermos. Several of the boats we traveled with yesterday are leaving as well. We shoved off at 6:40am. It’s overcast and a little cool but not cold. Received a weather update from the Coast Guard that beginning at noon today through Monday winds will increase to 25-30kts. up to 40.

Winds steadily increased beginning about 9:45 and as I write this portion it is11:00 and the true wind is 24 kts., apparent 36.

It’s 12:30 pm and we entered the narrow part of the Alligator River approx. 1 hour ago. Although the winds are still high in here at 22 ( gusting to 30). out on the sound they’re higher, so much so that they just closed the swing bridge we went through a short time ago (they close when the wind speeds exceed 34 kts). Ed just said “good things come in 3’s”, so we’re looking for the 3rd!

At 1:45 the rain came ( no need to rinse off the boat later). The radar displayed red,yellow, and green. It was raining hard, was foggy, and difficult to see the day markers. Luckily we were near our final destination of Dowry Marina, 2 miles north of Belhaven, NC.

Still raining as we pulled into a face dock. We were met by two very helpful gentlemen who took our lines and tied us up. The rain lightened up some and then stopped.

This is a very nice marina with laundry facilities (free) and a well-stocked convenience store (food and marine). I went up with my laundry and Ed and Tom followed with drinks in hand (alcoholic of course). We each ended up doing 2 loads. Sat on the porch and enjoyed some down time.

We finished up the chicken cacciatore that Cara made the other night (thanks Cara) over pasta with broccoli on the side. To top it off we had banana splits with crushed Oreos.

Chatted some after dinner about tomorrow and at this point we plan ongoing to Morehead City, weather permitting. Will check in the morning for final decision.
Traveled 72.66 nm- 8 hours 43min.

traveled

Comments