SV SEAKA: CRUISING AUSTRALIA IN 2019.

Vessel Name: SEAKA
Vessel Make/Model: 1969 Top Hat Mark 1
Hailing Port: Camden Haven Inlet NSW Australia
Crew: Phillip Bowman
About: Sailing the Australian East Coast towards Lizard Island, 2019
Extra: The Top Hat Mark 1's were built by Baker in Sydney from 1965 to 1971. Seaka was built in 1969 and launched in 1970 from the boat ramp under the new Tom Ugly’s Bridge in Sydney.
09 December 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
04 October 2019 | Lawrie's Boatyard.
11 September 2019
30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.
19 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Approaching Pacific Creek and SunHill 9th July.
01 July 2019 | The Narrows.
23 May 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
01 February 2017 | Approaching Port Stephen Heads
23 October 2015 | Camden Haven in sight at last.
14 October 2015
09 October 2015 | Moreton Bay
26 September 2015 | Off Pancake Creek
19 September 2015 | Sunrise beyond Round Island at the entrance to Port Clinton.
13 September 2015 | Island Head Creek
05 September 2015 | Outer Newry Island anchorage
01 September 2015 | Crayfish bay
30 August 2015 | Cape Gloucester
Recent Blog Posts
09 December 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW

Mooloolaba to the Camden Haven Inlet and home.

On the work dock at the boat yard in Mooloolaba.

04 October 2019 | Lawrie's Boatyard.

Gladstone to Mooloolaba.

Moored on the working dock at Lawrie's Boat Yard.

11 September 2019

Sitting in Gladstone Marina.

The Tidal Range at MacKay Marina

30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.

Waiting at MacKay Marine for better weather

On the 8th August we set off from Airlie Beach to find the sea like glass as we made our way to Hook Passage and down the eastern side of Whitsunday Island to the Whitehaven Beach area. We finally anchored in Windy Bay on Haslewood Island, going ashore for a refreshing swim before dark.

19 August 2019 | Airlie Beach

Photos Added.

New photos have been added in the photo folder called:

06 August 2019 | Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach to 7th August. Pearl Bay Beach

On Monday [22nd July] we were away at 0645 for the sail across to Curlew Island. This was one of our better sails with gentle winds, the tide with the wind and a low general swell. I arrived at noon in company of Lewie and Third Man. A lunch of pasta on Third man was enjoyed by all. We also found Sylphide [...]

Awaiting Repairs in Lake Macquarie.

10 January 2013 | Croudace Bay, Lake Macquarie.
Very Hot, 35 c plus.
Photo is of Nelson Bay moorings.

Towards Tasmania.

These posts have been delayed by computer charging problems, now solved.

Saturday 5th January 2013.

What a day! 90.2 nautical miles over 18.5 hours. Average speed 4.7 knots, but for long periods during the day we were sailing at 7 to 8 knots and even 9 knots at times. I was shattered when we finally anchored.

On Saturday the 6th January Shaun on Blue Moon and I set off from the Camden Haven towards Tasmania.

I and Seaka were moored at the Laurieton Service Club's wharf along with Little Sister, a fellow Camden Haven yacht. Little Sister went at 0300 and I heard later that they arrived in Pittwater some twenty four hours later, a little bit better than we were to do. I was up and almost ready when family and friends arrived to see me off at 0500 hours. As I passed the moorings at Dunbogan, Shaun called up and said he would be another twenty minutes. I decided not to wait in the river but to quickly get over the bar and sail slowly until Shaun caught up with me.

I successfully got across the bar at 0545 hours but Shaun, some thirty minutes later, took a wave completely over Blue Moon. Turns out that he didn't know that the bar leads are completely wrong [they direct you over the worst part of the bar] and I hadn't mentioned it as all the locals know this fact.

The sea as we motor sailed out to the East Australian Current was very calm and there were only light winds. Around 0630 hours we turned south and by 0900 hours we were off Crowdy Head. Our course due to the wind direction, a light north east'er, and current was east of south and this was taking us off shore as we proceeded south. The wind was slowly increasing so that at 1045 we were under sail alone and doing around 5 knots.

As the coast receded to the west the wind increased and by 1500 hours when we were abeam of Forster and 15 nm off, the wind was over 15 knots and continuing to increase. This was not what we were expecting from the weather forecast! Both Shaun and I sailed on until about 1840 when we talked by radio and called it off for Pittwater and agreed to divert to Port Stephens for a day's rest and to await better weather.

At this time I removed the Genoa and put in two reefs on the main sail. I then discovered what they mean that the Top Hat is a yacht driven by its foresails. There was no way that I could get Seaka round to sail for Port Stephens so for the first time I hauled out my storm Jib and once that was up we were away and moving at 4 knots in a very disturbed sea and 20 plus knots of wind.

As we closed the coast we started to hear Marine Rescue [MR] Forster calling us and a couple of yachts that hadn't reported in as they went past. We called and called MR Forster but got no reply. Then at 1800 hours when we were closer inshore the phone went and on answering a gruff voice said,

"Port Stephens Water Police here is that the Skipper of Seaka and where are you?"

As we had been around 15 nm off shore we had heard MR Forster calling other us and other yachts but we had received no replies to our calls. We had not tried to phone as there was no signal out there. Not long after the Police call off Seal Rocks I made contact with MR Port Stephens. My radio signal from my small aerial was not strong enough for them to receive clearly but we made ourselves understood and they monitored my progress until I anchored at Nelson Bay in Port Stephens around 1145 hours.

Lat. 32 42.955'S Long. 152 8.919'E

Sunday 6th January 2013.

I slept through the phone alarm for the first time this morning to rise around 1000 hours. Spent the day resting after cleaning up, refuelling and replacing the Genoa with the Yankee foresail. Later in the day went for a swim then had a cockpit shower. Shaun brought pasta over for tea with sausages from me we had a great meal. Both of us went to bed early.

Lat. 32 42.955'S Long. 152 8.919'E


Monday 7th January 2013.

Up at 0530 hours and moving out at 0615 hours. Shaun still getting ready and followed half an hour or more later, but did not catch up all day. Just after 0700 hours we rounded Shark Island and motor sailed for the Swansea Bar. It was after some discussion last night that we decided to halve the voyage to Pittwater by going into Lake Macquarie for a rest and to meet the other Top Hat owners in the lake.

During the morning the seas were flat and shiny as we motor sailed south. The highlight of the morning was the visit of a pod of about thirty dolphins that played around Seaka's bow. Listening to the VHF radio I discovered that we needed to make a booking for the Swansea Bridge and this I did for 1500 hours after contacting MR Lake Macquarie. Around 1330 hours it was becoming evident that we were not going to make the 1500 bridge so changed to the 1700 hour opening and stopped the motor. We were now sailing at about 3 knots.

Just before 1600 hours we were approaching the leads to cross the Swansea Bar using the chart plotter as I could not pick out the leads in the western sun. As we approached closer the leads became evident and following them in we picked up the second set of leads to the buoyed channel up to the Swansea Bridge. On arrival at the bridge I found one of the buoys for waiting vessels, but it had no rope. Clipping on I finally manage to get a mooring rope attached to the buoy that could be released when the bridge opened.

Duly at 1700 hours the bridge opened and on the other side was Greg in Felicity to meet and guide me through the Swansea Channel up to the Lake Macquarie Yacht Club in Belmont Bay where we would spend the night on the marina wall with Felicity and Blue Moon who arrived around 1900 hours. After chips, a beer or two and a lot of talking we all retired for the night.

Today we did 53 nautical miles over 11¾ hours at between 3 and 5 knots for an average of 4.5 knots.

Lat. 33 2.412'S Long. 151 30.29'E


Tuesday 8th January 2013.

Today we sailed across to Kilaben Bay at Rathmines at 0600 hours. Started ahead of Shaun in Blue Moon but he beat me to Skye Point, so I have lost my first and only yacht race. I had to beat up to Kilaben Bay and eventually tied up to the F wharf at 0845 hours. We did 2.7 nm. Shaun had anchored offshore but the reason I had tied up to the wharf is that the oil warning light had been on and off since leaving the Camden Haven. I suspected it was either a switch board problem, the oil pressure switch or the oil pump. The other reason we are here is that tonight we are expecting 40 knot winds from the north east and this is one of the best places to be during such events. Oh, and it's going to be HOT!

Shaun and I were picked up by Greg of Felicity who took us round the area to purchase some required items. I got a charger for the computer and spoke to the mechanic at the Marmong Point Marina about the oil light and the stern cutlass bearing. After that discussion I spoke to Terry back at JTS who did the Nanni service a couple of weeks ago. We went back to Seaka and removed the pressure switch and tried to replace it without success. I ordered a new one from Nanni in Sydney.

Given what Terry told us decided we needed to go ahead with the re-alignment anyway and with the possibility we may have to deal with a new oil pump as well. So we have booked to come out onto the hard at 1300 hours on Monday, the mechanic will deal with the re-alignment and stern cutlass bearing on Tuesday. Hopefully we will go back in on Wednesday. While all this is happening I will anti-foul Seaka. The cost here for the haul out and hard stand is less than at the Camden Haven so may be back here on an annual basis if the costs at home do not drop.

The temperatures topped out at 42.5º today and was still at 36º at midnight.

Lat. 33 2.275'S Long. 151 35.616'E

Wednesday 9th January 2013.

Shaun came over at 0900 hours and helped me get off the wharf. On Bear's advice we are moving the 5.6 nm over to Croudace Bay to shelter from this southerly and future north east'ers. Seaka could only motor at 2 knots against the swell and wind to Skye Point and then we had a clear run up to Croudace Bay where I found Bear and Egret up in the northern corner. We rafted up and I spent the afternoon talking. Moving away from Egret I anchored Seaka inshore and near the wharf.

Later I went with Bear to his house for a shower before Bear, Greg and I went the 85 km around the lake to the Wangi Workers Club to meet Mike of Dulcama, Mark of Storm Petrel and Shaun for an evening meal. It was at the club that we found out that Blue Moon was defeated by the southerly wind and swell so Shaun had waited till the afternoon to move around to the Wangi Workers Club wharf.

Lat. 33 0.25'S Long. 151 38.383'E

Thursday 10th January 2013.

Bear came onboard this morning and we tested the oil pump on the Nanni. The result was that the oil pump was OK! So rang Nanni and organised the oil pressure switch to be delivered to Bear's house. Spent the rest of the morning talking.

Later Bear picked me up and we went to the "Wind Warriors" at the Lake Macquarie Yacht Club. This was race meeting and it was educational to see the radio controlled model yachts racing around a 20 metre course. The instant protests and immediate rulings had everybody going. Did some food shopping on the way back.

Shaun and Blue Moon were coming over to Croudace Bay today but late in the day we found out he had headed south to Pittwater with the other Top Hats where he arrived at Refuge Bay around 1900 hours and will stay there until Saturday morning.

Daily posts should continue form today. You can track Seaka on http://skipr.net

For those who have been following the Top Hat site at http://www.tophatyachts.org the site is being upgraded and will back online sometime on the 12/01/2013.

Lat. 33 0.25'S Long. 151 38.383'E

Phillip.
Comments
SEAKA's Photos - Main
Photos of SEAKA's 2019 voyage
53 Photos
Created 8 June 2019
Towards Lizard Island 2019
1 Photo
Created 23 May 2019
Solo Voyage to the Whitsunday Islands 2015
65 Photos
Created 23 March 2015
The refit of Seaka in preparation to sail around Australia.
16 Photos
Created 28 December 2014
Seaka's Voyage Towards Tasmania.
36 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
4 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
2 Photos
Created 31 August 2011
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2011
6 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 13 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
14 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
2 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
18 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
17 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 May 2011
18 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 13 May 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 May 2011
10 Photos
Created 9 May 2011
13 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 6 May 2011
3 Photos
Created 5 May 2011
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 April 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 April 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
The voyage from Camden Haven to Trail Bay.
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2011
Showing the Camden Haven River, arrival of Seaka in Laurieton in 2002. Seaka's interior layout and Seaka at anchor.
10 Photos
Created 30 March 2011

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
Australia
SailBlogs Friends
Argos