SV SEAKA: CRUISING AUSTRALIA IN 2019.

Vessel Name: SEAKA
Vessel Make/Model: 1969 Top Hat Mark 1
Hailing Port: Camden Haven Inlet NSW Australia
Crew: Phillip Bowman
About: Sailing the Australian East Coast towards Lizard Island, 2019
Extra: The Top Hat Mark 1's were built by Baker in Sydney from 1965 to 1971. Seaka was built in 1969 and launched in 1970 from the boat ramp under the new Tom Ugly’s Bridge in Sydney.
09 December 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
04 October 2019 | Lawrie's Boatyard.
11 September 2019
30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.
19 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Airlie Beach
06 August 2019 | Approaching Pacific Creek and SunHill 9th July.
01 July 2019 | The Narrows.
23 May 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW
01 February 2017 | Approaching Port Stephen Heads
23 October 2015 | Camden Haven in sight at last.
14 October 2015
09 October 2015 | Moreton Bay
26 September 2015 | Off Pancake Creek
19 September 2015 | Sunrise beyond Round Island at the entrance to Port Clinton.
13 September 2015 | Island Head Creek
05 September 2015 | Outer Newry Island anchorage
01 September 2015 | Crayfish bay
30 August 2015 | Cape Gloucester
Recent Blog Posts
09 December 2019 | Dunbogan in the Camden Haven Inlet NSW

Mooloolaba to the Camden Haven Inlet and home.

On the work dock at the boat yard in Mooloolaba.

04 October 2019 | Lawrie's Boatyard.

Gladstone to Mooloolaba.

Moored on the working dock at Lawrie's Boat Yard.

11 September 2019

Sitting in Gladstone Marina.

The Tidal Range at MacKay Marina

30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.

Waiting at MacKay Marine for better weather

On the 8th August we set off from Airlie Beach to find the sea like glass as we made our way to Hook Passage and down the eastern side of Whitsunday Island to the Whitehaven Beach area. We finally anchored in Windy Bay on Haslewood Island, going ashore for a refreshing swim before dark.

19 August 2019 | Airlie Beach

Photos Added.

New photos have been added in the photo folder called:

06 August 2019 | Airlie Beach

Airlie Beach to 7th August. Pearl Bay Beach

On Monday [22nd July] we were away at 0645 for the sail across to Curlew Island. This was one of our better sails with gentle winds, the tide with the wind and a low general swell. I arrived at noon in company of Lewie and Third Man. A lunch of pasta on Third man was enjoyed by all. We also found Sylphide [...]

Waiting at MacKay Marine for better weather

30 August 2019 | MacKay Marina.
Phillip Bowman | Fine and windy from SE
On the 8th August we set off from Airlie Beach to find the sea like glass as we made our way to Hook Passage and down the eastern side of Whitsunday Island to the Whitehaven Beach area. We finally anchored in Windy Bay on Haslewood Island, going ashore for a refreshing swim before dark.

The next day [9th August] we moved over to Whitehaven Beach to observe the tourist hoards that arrive and leave there every day. Greg and I went ashore and climbed the track up to the Chance Bay lookout where we were able to make a few phone calls. It seems strange but there is still no phone coverage on the eastern side of the islands when you consider the number of tourist, near half a million, that come out here every year. There was an assortment of vessels here with stink boats causing havoc with their wakes and float planes flying at mast height, well below the 500 metre minimum.

On Saturday [10th August] we got up early to go to Gulnare Inlet, but having stuck our heads out into Solway Passage to find 15 knots of wind we turn around and headed north up towards Hook Passage. With the tide taking us north and light winds we enjoyed a wing an wing [sails on opposite sides of Seaka] sail, getting up to 5 knots! During that sail I kept smelling this awful smell and it was some time before I realized it was coming from the whales astern of us. There were plenty of whales around that day. Once we rounded Hook Passage we found a south west sea coming in so moved around to Nara Inlet for lunch before moving onto Cid Harbour. We had gone to Cid Harbour in anticipation of strong winds over the next few days. In Cid Harbour we found a line of reef markers, we are not allowed to anchor between them and the shore and nobody had. It wasn't until next day that I discovered that they were actually warning of the shark attacks occurring in Cid Harbour. We spent the next day [11th August] sheltering from the winds.

On Monday [12th August] it was still blowing hard in the morning but by lunchtime we were able to get away for Stonehaven Anchorage where we found a mooring and I set up the four buoys to prevent the mooring buoy banging on the hull. I tried all sorts of lures that night but did not even get a nudge. The next morning [13th August] we made our way around to Butterfly Bay with the intention of holing up for another three days of strong winds. On arrival I was lucky enough to get the inner mooring which I've always wished to get on during my last two visits but were unable to do so. That afternoon I dived on Seaka's hull and using a wide plastic plaster trowel to removed the fur growing there.

Over the next two days [14th & 15th August] it blew hard, at times gusts over 25 knots, but we were comfortable on the mooring. With not much happening I baked a chocolate cake and did a bit of snorkeling around the bay.

With the weather improving we moved [16th August] around to the back of Nara Inlet where we visited the Aboriginal cave shelter and then moved back out to do phone calls and emails before finally anchoring in Refuge Bay off Nara Inlet. We stayed there another day with Greg catching a Trevally which provided a welcome change of diet.

On Sunday [18th August] we motored out to the entrance of Nara Inlet and enjoyed a sail across to Airlie Beach. Once there we entered the marina going to the public dock where I filled up the water tank. I had used 5 litres a day since being in Gladstone. The next day [19th August] I spent shopping which included buying an extra 10 litre fuel drum to get us through some of the longer stretches down south. Then the next two days [20th & 21st] were too windy to go north to the Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club get together at Cape Gloucester.

Finally on the Thursday [22nd August] I got away for Cape Gloucester. On the way I was boomed again by a stink boat who passed, less the 100m ahead, across my course. Arriving at the Cape around lunch time I went ashore and registered, got a number 2 haircut, I enjoyed that, and got rid of all the books I had read to a sale table.

The next day [23rd August] I caged a lift ashore to go to the Shag Islet Day. A very windy day and we can now see that there are only about half the boats that were here in 2015. Saturday [24th August] greeted us with low clouds and rain all of which had cleared by 1000 hours, so allowing the Hands Across The Seas to go ahead. It was still rough for my small dinghy but as Frank, in Third Man from Port Macquarie, and I were first there we got a sheltered position behind the 90' three deck stink boat from which the event would be conducted. After the official bit we were all invited aboard, there weren't that many people, for Champagne and eats. The interior of the boat was well appointed and the liquor and food flowed freely, so much so that I would only stand one more drink that night!

Returning to our yachts we soon noticed that there was a police inflatable doing the circuit which caused most of us to call for the ferry boat to avoid them. I reckon I was over the limit at that stage, after the free liquor that day, so really had no choice. Having had not intending to be at the Shaggers do I had no fancy gear for this Rio night but the good people on Third Man and Freya came to the party with enough gear to pass muster. The only downer for the day was the chicken in the evening dinner ashore which was not properly cook and early the next morning, when I got rid of it, I felt so much better.

Spent the next morning [25th August] I repacked the forward lockers and gave Third Man my copy of Going Troppo as they are heading further north. I went ashore for the Pirate Party at lunchtime but found it to be pretty lame compared to 2015 when there were more yachts here. Later that day I got Seaka ready for sea.

So, at first light on Monday 26th August I turned Seaka for home and along with a stream of yachts took the Gloucester Passage south. I was motoring as the wind was on the nose [again] but I was keeping up with the bulk of that fleet. A couple of hours later I had to turn the AIS receiver off as the poor chart plotter was struggling with receiving all the information from so many moving vessels around me. Around midday off Airlie Beach we had a baby whale doing leaps some 100m off Seaka's starboard bow. With conditions so good I decided to motor on down pass Long Island arriving an hour before dusk at Puritan Bay on the north side of Round Head on Cape Conway.

I had planned to leave at midnight but as I had had only a short disturbed sleep due to the short swell coming into the Bay, put it off to first light. So at first light [Tuesday, 27th August] we lifted the anchor and by 0730 had cleared Cape Conway and pointed our nose directly for MacKay. We saw several whales during the day but none close to us. As I passed Thomas Island, way to the east, a 30 to 40 foot yacht joined me, but he was sailing, and for most of the day he tacked back and forth but never getting any further than 2-300 metres in front of me, as he crossed my course, until he gave up and tacked away to Brampton Island. We continued to motor on, trying at various times during the day to get the Genoa to draw, but without any luck. It was 1800 hours as we rounded the last corner to line up the lead lights to the harbour and just as it turned pitch black, we motored in between the walls. It was then a dash to get fish'n'chips [Mackerel] and a shower before crashing into bed.

On Wednesday and Thursday [28th & 29th August] I did shopping and cleaning. The fuel and water were topped up, the engine serviced. Friday [30th August] was spent writing this blog and doing a last few jobs. We leave early Sunday morning for Curlew Island some 45 nautical miles away to the south.

I have added photos to the 2019 album. To see the photo titles hover your mouse pointer over the photo.
Comments
SEAKA's Photos - Main
Photos of SEAKA's 2019 voyage
53 Photos
Created 8 June 2019
Towards Lizard Island 2019
1 Photo
Created 23 May 2019
Solo Voyage to the Whitsunday Islands 2015
65 Photos
Created 23 March 2015
The refit of Seaka in preparation to sail around Australia.
16 Photos
Created 28 December 2014
Seaka's Voyage Towards Tasmania.
36 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
4 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
2 Photos
Created 31 August 2011
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2011
6 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 13 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
14 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
2 Photos
Created 10 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
18 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
17 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 May 2011
18 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
6 Photos
Created 13 May 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 May 2011
10 Photos
Created 9 May 2011
13 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 6 May 2011
3 Photos
Created 5 May 2011
8 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 April 2011
6 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 April 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
The voyage from Camden Haven to Trail Bay.
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2011
Showing the Camden Haven River, arrival of Seaka in Laurieton in 2002. Seaka's interior layout and Seaka at anchor.
10 Photos
Created 30 March 2011

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
Australia
SailBlogs Friends
Argos