03 May 2009 | Little Current
The month of May has started off pretty chilly over here. I had frost on the windshield of my car in the morning, but at least the sun is out. Drove up to the boat to get her prepped for the launch in a few weeks. A few things needed my attention.
The engine freshwater seacock has been seized open for years and it has always made me nervous, so I finally removed it and took it home to fix. I also painted the engine room with interlux bilge paint...1 coat down and it looks amazing so far. I'll do the second coat next weekend and also the bilge. The other project I've been working on is the port side dinette. The table is old, ugly and sits on a pedalstal, the cusions old, worn and smell like diesel. I got new cushions made and just picked them up, they look amazing. I made a cardboard template for the new table. It will fold up against the mast and will give us more room and will look much nicer once I pick out the wood. I redid the floors last year, so our galley/dinette will look pretty sharp this year.
Once I got back home I took the torch to the seacock and with some hammering, it unseized. Greased her up good and will reinstall it next weekend. You have no idea how comforting having that seacock work properlly is to me.
Now if it can warm up I'll be able to wash and wax Seamonkey and get some sailing done.