Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Staging in Stuart

25 March 2010

We're at the comfortable and luxurious Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart where we'll prepare our boat for ultimate summer storage up the way in Fort Pierce. Here's our plan. We'll work away at the many jobs it takes to decommission the boat here in Stuart, Judy and Chopin will fly to New Jersey on April 1, I'll take the boat the rest of the way (about 30 miles) to Riverside Marina where we'll have her hauled and I'll do the remainder of the decommissioning. They I'll drive to New Jersey where we'll spend some time before returning to NB about mid April.

I make the decommissioning process sound complicated but it is. We take good care of our boat and there are many lay-up things to do not the least of which is to deal with our clothes, food and other items which we will take off the boat. It's truly amazing how much "stuff" you end up accumulating while cruising. I like to get as much fabric things off or in large zip lock type bags to minimize the likelihood of mildew. In addition, we need to get all the canvass (sails, dodger, bimini etc) off the boat, service the boat engine, dinghy engine, generator, clean all surfaces inside and outside of the boat, and a long list of other details. I don't mind this work, particularly here at Stuart where the weather now is very pleasant.

On Sunday there is Rock and Roll in the Park and we take in a very interesting blues/rock band overlooking the St. Lucie River. On Monday evening, we join Sandi and Peter for dinner at a great rib joint. On Tuesdays and Thursdays there is a potluck here at the Marina and we socialize with our fellow boaters. Last night we went to a wonderful little Italian restaurant in historic downtown Stuart (nominated Florida's most beautiful downtown).

With our vehicle now available, we make various trips to stores. I put a new set of tires on the Jeep and wash and clean her. We go for great runs and walks including lots of shore time for Chopin. Our dinghy is fine so we have the short-term luxury of having two dinghies (we still have Ellen and Eric's) so like a two car family, we can come and go as we each please.

Judy starts dealing with the clothes and I clean and wax the deck. We are now getting anxious to get home; Judy in particular as she will be reunited with her family soon. Chopin does not know it but he's in for a plane ride from West Palm to Philadelphia; he will not be so pleased.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada