Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Great Guana Cay

08 March 2011
While the weather is still quite boisterous, we’re on the lee side of the winds and head out up the Exumas and along the longest island in the archipelago, Great Guana Cay. Winds are brisk but the seas are modest and we have a great sail along the Cay to our intended destination, White Point. This is an uninhabited area but is a long crescent white sand beach; Audacious and Sea Sharp are the only boats in this anchorage although another boat comes in later. The wind abates but it is surprisingly rolly and our boats are pitching and rolling, verging on being uncomfortable. We take a long beach walk and enjoy the pleasant afternoon.

It rolls quite a bit through the night but there’s little wind and we sleep well. Next morning, we decided to do some snorkelling and find a few spots but there are few coral reefs where all the colourful fish hang out.

We move on a short six miles or so to another secluded bay where we are the only boats. There are two buildings we can see; a castle looking building and another large residence. The adjacent beach is spectacular but there are wind dogs hanging around the beach an we’re concerned for their safety if we bring Chopin ashore; he does not tolerate dogs!

So we spend a leisurely day on our boats as the wind seas abate and the next morning we awake to what has probably been the calmest day we have ever encountered in our cruising in the Bahamas. Judy takes a morning swim over to visit Audacious The seas are flat an the water so clear that you can make see the bottom without distortion. It is eerie. In keeping with our recent less than ten mile day routine, we decide to head on to Black Point.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada