Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Shark Attack; the Sequel

28 February 2012

I find it hard to avoid using my left (injured) living on a small boat. Every now and then I forget that I have sustained this injury and grab something. Either I get a surging pain or Judy yells at me. In any event, life goes on.

We have Bill from My Whim, a sistership to Sea Sharp over for dinner last night and it is a wonderful diversion. Bill is engaging and interesting and we have a great evening.

Today (Tuesday) I’m supposed to go back to the hospital to have the wound checked and, as well, have a consult with the specialist who was contacted by Mercy due to the potential severity of my wound. The hospital is int eh Coconut Grove area so rather than take an expensive cab ride over, we opt to take the boat over to this very large and complex marina/mooring area. Up early, we head over to the fuel dock at Crandon Park Marina by 7:30 to top up fuel and water and head across Biscayne Bay to Coconut Grove. It’s a scant five miles and we’re on our newly assigned mooring by 9:00. We are to be at the hospital at 10:00 then to the specialist (who understanding our circumstances agreed to see me today) at 11;00. I get a call at 9:30 from the specialist asking if I can get there asap because he will not be in the office at he appointed time. So, we hustle to shore and take a can he two miles to his office. Not long after, we are brought into his waiting room and he meets with us. Despite what is likely an extremely busy schedule, he takes the time to talk to us about my injury and the ramifications. He is very reassuring and while acknowledges that it is a somewhat severe cut, it should heal fine. There may be some nerve damage which may regenerate but if it does not, I can have it looked at within the next several months. Also, he was not too worried about me resuming my live aboard life other than keeping it clean and being reasonably careful not to reopen the wound. He indicated that I did not have to return to the hospital. So buoyed by this positive prognosis we can back to Sea Sharp, and recalibrate our plans to continue our journey north.

Our former yacht clubmates Brian and Maxine are in the same mooring field and we invite them for happy hour. It is always great to be in the company of folks we’ve known for a long time and we have a very pleasant evening exchanging cruising stories.

It is of great relief that my injury is not debilitating and we can continue our journey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada