Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

An Easy Day

08 September 2008
A very quiet night at Stonington. We're definitely getting into the cruising mode; I was up at 6:00 but guess what? Judy was up about 20 minutes later (after I fixed her coffee of course). We relaxed and left around 8:00, destination Rockland. A very easy 20 or so miles; Judy primarily at the wheel with Mike navigating. It was very clear and pleasant but we went through a couple of very complex passages with many, may buoys, rocks, lobster pots, fishing vessels and other stuff. Got to Rockland Harbour about 11:30 under brilliant skies. On our way in the famed Camden Schooners left taking their passengers on day and week adventures; quite a sight.

We came in to a marina, took on fuel and frigged around deciding whether to take a mooring or dock space. Moorings (a rope or chain leading from a very heavy weight on the bottom to a floating mooring ball) cost about 25 to 30 US a night; dock space is at least 2.00 a foot which for our boat is 74.00, often with power over and above. Ultimately we went to a marina and tied up behind a 120 foot Mega Yacht (hopefuly the picture will show the contrast with Sea Sharp). We were intrigued who owned it; I asked at the Marina office; they feigned ignorance. Judy outright asked one of the young paid crew and he said that it was not a movie star but he could not disclose. Anyway, we're sharing the same dock, water, air and ambiance so I guess we're millionaires too.

Just to give you a bit of perspective, this yacht is 120 feet long, probably 24 feet wide with at least three decks. I would estimate that it's probably 10 million and would cost a million a year to operate.

We did provisions this afternoon, had a great supper, in the shadow of Serendipity II, our Mega-yacht neighbour and are shutting down. Tomorrow forecasts boisterous winds and seas so we'll see what we want to do.

A bit of a post script; Chopin loves our boat but he also loves to explore other boats and on our frequent raft-ups with our friends from FYC, he loves to roam around their boats; favouring those with lots of cubbyholes and male smells. Well, we were having supper and Chopin snuck off Sea Sharp, heading towards the mega-yacht. I'm sure we'd never have found him again - he has two-foot-it is very bad.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada