Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Another Wild One

26 October 2008
So we have choices; stay put, go short, or do what most folks are doing; put on some miles and duck in to wait out the predicted strong winds on Saturday. We decided to put on some miles with our destination to be Oriental. We start out with many boats on the same track and have a great sail down the Pungo River and across Palmico Sound. The winds are brisk but we're having a great sail. The seas build in Palmico Sound as predicted. These sounds are shallow and when the wind fetches along them for a while they get quite boisterous.

After we cross Palmico Sound, we transit Goose Creek and then another short Canal. We hear on the VHF radio that the next body of water is getting quite rough, particularly the first part where we'll be heading right into the wind. Our friends Ray and Ray on Whisper are about an hour ahead and report unpleasant conditions. This is confirmed by Craig on Charmed, a very nice Island Packet. Judy and I consider finding an anchorage to duck into but we push on. As we exit the canal, I drift a bit out of the channel and, oomph, we run hard aground. They say that there only two types of boaters who do the Intercoastal Waterway; those who have run aground, and those who will.... We're now in the former category. Anyway, with lots of engine throttle, we get ourselves off without problem and we didn't do any damage.

By the way, we, like most boaters, have purchased tow insurance. There are essentially two companies who provide marine towing services; Sea Tow and TowBoat US. Both of these have crafts all along the coast and will come and provide towing and other services to disabled boaters. We take out an unlimited towing insurance package with TowBoat US which allows us to get their services as many times as we need (hopefully we won't) it for a year. This was just over $100.00 but a single tow could easily run $750 or much more so it's a good deal.

Anyway, after we get off we enter Bay River which opens up to the Neuse River. It starts to get real snotty but our colleagues tell us if we can endure about five miles, we round a point and will be able to bear off bringing the wind further aft making the ride much more endurable. Our plan is to go for a while but if we don't like it, we're turning back to an anchorage. Judy is fine, but Chopin is uncomfortable.

We beat and thrash but finally make it to the turn and it's much better. We now have a 15 mile sleigh ride up the Neuse; seas are high and close together and the wind continues to build but we're well under control and very much enjoy the sail. Judy does a fair bit of the helming today and does well.

We call Oriental Marina and they tell us they are filling up fast but they can give us a place on the face of their outer dock. We are a bit concerned about this as we're going to get some heavier winds tomorrow but the dockmaster does not seem to think it'll be a problem. So, we're tired and want to shut down so we book this space.

We get into Oriental and tie up in front of three other sailboats on this dock face; two from Canada. It is quite pleasant and we're glad to be on terra firme for a while. We meet some folks including Brian Lemon, a fellow originally from New Brunswick. We know his brother well. They are travelling on their Beneteau to the Virgin Islands and are waiting for a weather window to go out into the Atlantic and head off shore. The window will not come up soon!

The town is small but very pleasant; they have the requisite bars, restaurants, gift shops, marine store, etc. We roam a bit, have a great supper and head to bed, contented with our day and looking forward to a good night sleep. Little do we know what's in store for us.........
Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
About:
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada