Retirement to Bahamas

Mike and Judy have been sailing for some 25 years. We have dreamed for years about retiring and sailing to the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are living our dream!

05 February 2013 | Riverside Marina
26 March 2012
17 March 2012
15 March 2012
15 March 2012
06 March 2012
04 March 2012
28 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
26 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
25 February 2012
21 February 2012
21 February 2012
12 February 2012

Which Way do We Go?

04 February 2009
In my last blog, I summarized the many variables we have to consider for where we head for the next couple of days. Yesterday, we had almost resigned ourselves to remaining on the bank side, heading back up to the Staniel Cay area, and waiting out the front. This morning, we get weather forecasts - for me on Sea Sharp, this means up at 6:20, get the short wave radio hooked up and try desperately to decipher the squawking, screeching and general cacophony of single side band radio reception. I figure that if things hold, we have today and tomorrow (Thursday and Friday) to make the trip to Georgetown and then hunker down. We're particularly motivated to do this because our great friends Ann and Harold are flying into Georgetown on Wednesday next to spend a week or so on Sea Sharp. If we don't move today, we might be stuck on the bank side for another week. Ann and Harold would certainly understand but we'd be sorely disappointed and we love them like older brother and sister and yearn for their company.

So, it appears that conditions, while not ideal, are ok to move south. Our plan is a bit vague but we want to get as far down on the bank side as we can, find a good cut and head out tomorrow morning to finish out trip to Georgetown.

The whole anchorage is moving today and there's much anticipation and chatter on the vhf, which adds to the drama. We motor (wind's on the nose (directly where we want to go)) to a place called Cave Cay. This Cay and its neighbours are privately owned. This particular one has what seems to be a major development but which has been in various states of progress for as much as a decade. There are something like nine other boats with the same intention and we anchor along with them, just outside the cut which we hope to take tomorrow morning around 6:30.
Vessel Name: Sea Sharp
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 37.5
Hailing Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada
Crew: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Mike will be retiring in September 2008 after a long and rewarding career with the civil service in New Brunswick, Canada. I will end my career as President of Service New Brunswick, the "single window" service delivery agency for multi-jurisdictional government services to citizens and businesses. [...]
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:4658
Sea Sharp's Photos -

Preparing for Retirement Trip

Who: Mike, Judy and Chopin (the boat cat)
Port: Douglas Harbour, NB, Canada