Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

Okay, okay....so I'm blogging again!

08 June 2008 | Lehigh Acres, Florida
Glenn.
Hi everyone. Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in with all of you. It's been quite a busy time; got me delayed in blogging. After I'd got a but of a backlog in blogging, I knew it'd take some time to catch-up, so delayed some more. Sorry folks! ?

We've enjoying our new home here in SW Florida. It's VERY different from Airdrie. We are in Lehigh Acres, Florida. This is a suburb of Fort Myers, on the Florida west coast, and about 1.5 - 2 hours south of Tampa Bay and about two & a half or three hours from Orlando. Our neighbourhood is something you Canadians have probably never seen. See, it's a housing development with streets, cross-streets, signs and everything. What makes it very different is that it's criss-crossed with canals, some drainage and others with lots of water, fish and gators. The weird part is there are few bridges. So, just because you see the street name you are looking for, it's in no way a sure thing that it will not be blocked by a canal, ending your travels. The whole place is like a maze. Even the maps on our GPS don't have it all sorted out. I was trying to find our way through the neighbourhood towards where Seawing is docked. I finally stopped someone and asked directions; he began to give me directions, but it was so complicated that he gave up and said that he was going that way anyway, just follow him. It's pretty funny. Our new church is only four miles from our home, and about a twenty minute drive. Also, most of the lots are vacant, and filled with Palmetto brush (looks like mini-palm tree like brush) and some Florida pines. On a Friday or Saturday evening, the whole area is buzzing with quads & motorcycles; dirt tracks are everywhere, all along the canals and over vacant lots.

The kids have found a variety of turtles, lizards and bugs. I found a rattlesnake on the street in front of the house & when we come home after dark, Ben hops out and runs 'toad-patrol' in front of the garage door; keeping the pesky little creatures away from the garage door, while we open the door and get inside. The little creatures seem to be fascinated with the inside of our garage....running from snakes maybe. ? Ben caught one and was holding it last week, when a friend told him toads cause warts (false); pretty funny to watch the toad go flying across the yard on a split seconds notice. We all got a chuckle out of that one. Ben caught a little gecko-like lizard, well lots of them actually. He's got a picture of it hanging from his ear. You see, their teeth are so tiny they don't hurt & when they bite, they don't let go. So....you can hold them up to your hear, let them bite your ear lobe and let go & voila, an earring. Ben's going to post the picture on his blog soon. He names the lizard Stripe. Stripe is now living in a home-made cage on our Lanai & eating crickets.

We've put an above-ground pool in the back yard for the kids to play in. We've had a real hard time with it; getting the water balanced. Because of the very warm & humid climate, stuff can really grow in the water, plus the well-water is really hard to balance the alkalinity and PH. Now one of the hoses to the filter pump has sprung leaks, the holes kind of look and are spaced like rattlesnake fang bites; maybe a territorial snake attacked the hose...can you say 'snake-burgers'? ?

School's been interesting. We're almost done....tomorrow's the last day. Local students were done last Friday. We've been concentrating on core subjects and working hard. There've been some delays as folks visit and such. Just imagine Jacquie sitting on the grass under a mahogany tree, math books spread out and working. She's done well. Sue's been working with Ben on his school. Both are doing well. We're now planning for next fall's school materials.

We are really learning to love our new church here. This church is a fundamentalist church; strong preaching from scripture of sin & repentance; exhorting Christians to live in righteousness, or you are probably not a Christian at all (i.e. I John). Though the preaching is VERY conservative (love it!), there is such a loving & caring attitude. I have huge respect for the pastor; Pastor Terry Vance. He preaches the Word of God with such passion & cares for his flock. O that all Christians where able to sit under such teaching.

I was privileged last week to stand-in for the pastor and teach an evangelism training class. This class went quite well, folks seemed to appreciate the teaching. One of the men accepted an offer to come with me preaching on the streets the next weekend.

Saturday afternoons have seen us at Fort Myers Beach with our friends Bob & Linda. Our habit is to get the kids and Sue setup on the beach with chairs, umbrella, skim boards (kinda like mini surfboards) then Bob, Linda and I go handing out tracts and open-air preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Sam from church joined us this Saturday. Sue and the kids finally got their stuff together to setup their free glitter-tattoo stand in the Fort Myers Beach Times Square area this week. They give kids & youth free glitter tattoos and a Gospel tract.

This week was really interesting. Lots of conversations with some very interesting folks, pretty opposed to Christianity. Sad to see folks so deluded of the truth, and sinking into Hell. A privilege though to be able to share truth from the Word. My friend Bobby has been somewhat fearful about open air preaching. He was able to overcome his fear this week, with some prodding, & preach with a compassionate heart from the word of God with me this week. I can really learn from his compassionate manner.

The boat is coming along well. We've been working hard at the interior. It was looking pretty scary at first, as we gutted much of the interior. We've been making wood paneling from Western Red Cedar as well as Aromatic Cedar. The wood is beautiful, the more wood that goes up, the more Seawing looks like the inside of a boat should look. Our floating home is looking more and more homey. I've hired a young man, Michael, to work with me. He's an incredibly hard worker, talented fisherman (caught 20+ fish from the dock & boat while working) & becoming a valued friend.

Would you believe I installed a washer/dryer onboard? What a man won't do for his wife! ? I've just template and ordered Corian countertops for the galley & both heads. It's starting to come together; gonna look very nice! We're looking forward to getting her done and sailing off. Every week we crest the tall bride over to Fort Myers Beach & look far out to sea with a united longing; our family has been gifted with a love for the sea...guess most of you don't understand....or you'd be here too. ?

Hey, if you read this thing, please leave your comments online & drop us emails to let us know you are reading...keeps us connected to home. Pray for us, as we are getting used to an entirely different world.

Glenn.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)