Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

A Week in Nassau

17 March 2009 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
Glenn.
Nassau is a crazy place; especially after being in quieter places..can't imagine how it'll feel after been in the Exumas. We took as slip in the Nassau Harbour Club for the first couple days, to get some provisioning done, laundry and such then we anchored in front of the Green Parrot. The Green Parrot (formerly Alligators) is a cruiser-friendly restaurant on the waterfront. They provide a free dingy-dock, free wifi internet & there is a free water spigot across the street..what else does a cruiser need? Yes, dingy/generator fuel available across the street and down a block; wahoo!

Anchoring is interesting..holding in Nassau Harbour varies. Some times you can find a sand bank, other times the bottom is pretty scoured. See, this harbour is really a cut between New Providence Island and Paradise Island. The tidal flush through the harbour and up onto the shallow banks is very strong, thus scouring the harbour bottom in places. The tide also does crazy things with the boats. We found that at slack tide, all the boats would be pointed into the wind, but in mid-tide, the tidal current would be ripping and begin to turn boats all different directions...kinda crazy. Normally one can anchor and figure that as the wind clocks around all the boats will roughly swing together maintaining a space between boats..but with them all swinging different, ones has to be pretty aware when choosing a spot to anchor. We use a very good and huge anchor, but skipped it around the harbour a bit before we found a place that it set well.

Sue and I took the kids to the Atlantis resort to sightsee for an afternoon. Quite an amazing place, with all the incredible aquariums and waterslides like we'd never seen before. The marina there is very expensive, but apparently everyone aboard the boat gets free passes to the resort for the two days..the day you arrive and the day you leave (for an overnight stay). So..we're thinking we might collect all who are interested in the anchorage to get aboard, sail into the marina and get us all passes for a couple days of playing in the marina..we'll see what actually happens.

There is actually shopping in Nassau; even a real mall! It was so good to be able to go shopping & find the things on your list. Transportation by bus is pretty easy. The bus system is much like Freeport, privately owned buses, but larger buses than the little ones we were used to. It seems that most of the buses are well equipped with powerful stereos and a selection of thumpin' island music.

We attended St. Andrews Prespeterian Kirk in Nassau..the place is spectacular and some two-hundred or more years old. The pastor (fresh from Scotland) is very good.

We stayed a week in Nassau, provisioned well and took an opening weather window for the Exuma Cays.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)