S/V LaRina Gayle

28 May 2008 | Isla Mujures, Mexico
25 May 2008 | Cancun, Mx
16 May 2008 | Cancun, Mx
20 April 2008 | Isla Mujures Marina
05 April 2008 | Isla Mujeres
26 March 2008 | Isla Mujures Marina
17 March 2008 | Dry Tortugas, Florida
27 February 2008 | Fort Pierce, Fl

Cancun, Mexico

26 March 2008 | Isla Mujures Marina
David
Bullfighting is a Mexican passion though less wide spread than soccer. Fights take place mainly in major cities, and mostly during celebrations. Though a lot of people think it to be cruel, and crude "sport" it is a major part of Mexican history. To the fans of bullfighting, it is as much a ritualistic dance as a fight.
There are usually six bulls in a fight, a bell is rung when the first bull leaves the pen. After the bull leaves the pen a few toreros spend a few minutes tiring the bull. Then two picadores on heavily armored horses enter the ring and jab long lances into the shoulders of the bull, to weaken it. After that the toreros come back and attempt to stab the bull with long colorful darts. The matador them comes into the ring among a thunderstorm of applause and has to attempt to kill the bull within a sixteen minute period, with a sword. If he succeeds he is awarded with honor, but if he fails the results can be bad for his career.
Our experience with the bull fight in Cancun was that the show before the bull fight was better than the fight. I don't think our family will be strong patrons of bull fighting. But, while traveling and trying to experience cultural events we try to keep an open mind.
Comments
Vessel Name: LaRina Gayle
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 485
Hailing Port: Mobile, Alabama
Crew: Steve, Gayle Matthew and David
About: Capt. Steve, Galley slave Gayle and swabs Matthew (15) and David (13)

The Long Family

Who: Steve, Gayle Matthew and David
Port: Mobile, Alabama