D & D Nagle aboard MV DavidEllis

27 May 2020 | Elfin Cove, SE Alaska
16 April 2020 | Elfin Cove, Cross Sound, Chichagof Island, SE Alaska
10 July 2019 | Elfin Cove, Alaska (or in Aussie:
18 March 2019
19 September 2017 | northbound Verney Passage, west side Gribbell Island
30 May 2017 | Photo is Meyers Chuck, north of Ketchikan AK
29 August 2016 | on-the-hard, Wrangell
19 November 2015 | almost there
16 November 2015
15 November 2015
11 November 2015 | Shearwater - Bella Bella, BC
10 November 2015 | photo is approaching Bottleneck Inlet
01 November 2015 | Wrangell, Alaska
17 September 2015 | Juneau to Petersburg
19 July 2015 | Wrangell > Petersburg > Tracy Arm > Juneau
28 June 2015 | Wrangell, AK (still on the hard)
03 March 2015 | Ketchikan

Me an' Sal on the Erie Canal

23 May 2012
At some point during my mis-spent youth, I learned a folk song about a mule skinner and his mule Sal working the tow path on the Erie Canal, and here I am. Haven't spotted Sal, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. "the 363-mile Erie Canal ...was one of the greatest engineering feats of its day. By connecting the Atlantic Ocean and Great Lakes, the Erie opened the West and initiated a great surge of commerce" (New York State Canals Guide).  The canal has shifted routes numerous times,  and today a great deal of it runs along the Mohawk River, but here and there vestiges of the original canal and locks can be seen.  Sections of the old towpath are now full of pastel wildflowers -- purple, white, lavender and light blue. 

Sunday morning 20 May Jubilee entered lock #2, lifted fourteen feet and motored into history.  Schenectady, Amsterdam, Little Falls, Utica, Rome and Oneida floated by punctuated by locks #3 through #22 some with modest lifts of 8', teens, twenties, thirties and the big one #17 which lifted us forty and one half feet in one go.  This took all day Sunday, Monday and half day Tuesday.  I've posted numerous photos of the canal on FB (DavidEllis Nagle Boat) as has Roger (Roger V. Rude) so you can get a sense of what we've seen.  As we've seen very little traffic on the canal, and most of that small recreational watercraft, I asked one of the canal workers on a dredging barge this morning:  who else uses the waterway; I mean there's a lot of equipment and obviously great lengths are being gone to to keep it all operating.  What he said was that the canal is just the side show these days, as the majority of engineering structures on the Mohawk River are all about flood control -- without them the Mohawk Valley would be the Mohawk Swamp.  The canal today serves to transport the service boats and equipment needed to keep the flood control system working (and provide tremendous recreational and historical access to the rest of us). 

Tuesday afternoon, we glided out of the canal, onto Oneida Lake and 20 miles across to the town of Brewerton.  Dean took on fuel -- we've used 190 gallons of diesel since leaving Solomon's MD (traveling 665 statute miles thus far) -- had dinner and chatted both with local folks and other cruisers; an old movie and time for bed. 

I get the sense that, similar to California, where there's the LA SoCal thing and the rest of CA being two completely different experiences, here it's New York City and then the rest of NY state as two different worlds.  

Today is a big day back in Sonoma County, daughter Kate will be giving birth to grandson "DJ". I'll be standing by here in ,anxious anticipation, as will the rest of the Nagle clan, near and far.  I'd like to think my dad has signed up to be DJ's guardian angel...   Goodnight kids
Comments
Vessel Name: DavidEllis
Vessel Make/Model: Diesel Duck 462 (Seahorse Marine)
Hailing Port: Sebastopol, CA, USA
Crew: Mike (Dave) and Dorothy Nagle
About:
Home for us is Sebastopol, CA, USA, where children, grandchildren and surviving parents still reside. We lived aboard in SE Asia, except for short visits home spring of 06 til fall 09, primarily in China, Macau, Hong Kong, Philippine Islands and Malaysia. [...]
Extra:
while building, commishioning and shaking down, the boat was the 'ends'; now she's become the 'means' to explore new places, live there awhile, get to know folks before moving on. "David Ellis" is named after David J. Nagle & Ellis D. Peterson, Dave & Dorothy's dads. Both have passed, but [...]

Who: Mike (Dave) and Dorothy Nagle
Port: Sebastopol, CA, USA