SV Sereine

Just another Whitby 42 based in Maine, and working her way to the Carribbean in the fall of 2018.

18 April 2019 | Georgetown, Maine
09 April 2019 | Robinhood Marina G E O R G E T O W N M E
08 April 2019 | cape cod bay
07 April 2019
06 April 2019 | Block Island, RI
04 April 2019 | Far enough to be offshore
02 April 2019 | Just right of the US
01 April 2019 | Morehead City, NC
31 March 2019 | Morehead City, NC
30 March 2019 | Morehead City, NC
29 March 2019 | Morehead City, NC
28 March 2019 | Swansboro, NC
27 March 2019 | Wrightville, NC
26 March 2019 | Calabash Creek, Myrtle Beach, SC
25 March 2019 | Charleston, SC
24 March 2019
21 March 2019 | fort Pierce, FL

EPILOG

18 April 2019 | Georgetown, Maine
wil boisvert | Mainely Spring
This is overdue, but bringing my house back to life has been a weeklong battle.
As you can see, Charlie really took to snow... NOT. He loves it now, and will have to wait weeks before Winter is back.

Charlie and I are settling in to Spring in Maine. It was a short walk from the marina to our home. There was an inch of snow, so I feel I have experienced winter, even if only for minutes.

The trip back was 35 days, including 14 days at Harbortown Marina and 4 days at Morehead City Yacht Basin Marina. So, travel time was 17 days from Virgin Gorda, BVI to Georgetown, Maine. The trip down was twice that.

I can say that this journey has opened up my sailing strategy. On the way down, obviously affected by adverse weather conditions, I was both not cautious when I should have been, and overly cautious when I could have taken advantage of certain weather windows. Overnight sailing was something I was not willing to do because of the risks I perceived. That perception was formed by the incidents encountered, and the weather in which I chose to sail.

Given better weather on the way north, including tailwinds, sailing non-stop for eight days was both successful and expanding. Cat naps enabled me to function, but were not ideal. I learned to trust Sereine and the set of the sails. I also appreciated the stability of the Trade Winds. The autopilot, which I did not trust on the way down was now working almost flawlessly. I could not have acquired as much sleep as I did without it.

High seas also were tested, and Sereine did well in 15 to 20 foot seas, some being quite steep (double black diamond).

It is not too much to say that I am a different sailor then when I started this journey. It is also not too much to say that I am a different person. I have the people I met along the way, and the kindness and experiences they shared to thank for that. There is more sunshine on my sea.

I have many hours of work before Sereine is ready for more adventure. As long as there is a horizon, there will always be a desire to sail to it.

D R A M A

09 April 2019 | Robinhood Marina G E O R G E T O W N M E
wil boisvert | snow (white, wet and cold for those who don’t know... you know who you are)
Yes Glen, it is sometimes hard to follow or believe.

I wake up to the cracked bell housing that separated the transmission from the engine. I decide to sail to Maine and deal with it there, realizing the risks. I leave in the rain and almost no wind, but it picks up some in the bay.

The wind doesn't last long, and soon the 8 to 10 foot swells are dwarfing the 5 knot wind. I spend all night rocking, rolling and doing 2.8 knots. By 1100 on Teus wind picks up and I am off Jeffery's Ledge doing 4 then 5 then 6 knots.

It was down to 40 all night, a balmy 52 in the cabin.

I reach the Sheepscott. Bay and found light winds and 2 inches of snow on my deck. I also keep seeing the bird that hitched a ride of Provincetown. He has been eating rice and holding out in the cockpit cubbies.

I determined that the wind was not going to get me up the river to Robinhood Marina inn my lifetime. Uncharacteristicly, I called TowBoat US, through which I have unlimited towing. Very nice people, but there are no tow boats in the water this time of year. This quickly escalates to my fielding phone calls and channel 16 and 22a calls between Towboat US, the other towing guys, and the US Coast Guard.

In the end, the Coast Guard has decided I need rescuing, and I am glad they did. I am slowly making it up river while they get to me. Currently off Griffith Head Ledge. Running Generator to power the one space heater I have. Charlie is sleeping. He is so over all this drama.

With luck I will be tied to the dock tonight, and either spend the night on the boat, or walk the half mile to my home. What a strange space trip this has been.

Luck and some awesome CG crew brought me to the end of one of the T-docks at Robinhood Marina. The docks are covered in snow. After a safety inspection I thanked them extremely.

Charlie and I will spend the night on the dock, as the house will need to be awaken after its winter nap. I would rather do that in the light of day. Thanks Glen for the offer. It had as been up in the air til the last minute.

Harbortown, I miss you guys, Charlie looks at me like I am suppose to give him a meatball every day at Dawn. Could use a little Roscoe vocals from time to time. Missing Buddy too!

The coast guard made me think of you Bevis. Thanks, Sarah for the Fishermen's voice article. It was hilarious. I expected my brother to chime in on that one.

Now is the time to renew my footprint in Maine, consider all that this trip has meant to me and run for president. OK, not the last one.

i am optimistic

08 April 2019 | cape cod bay
wil boisvert | rain
i am in cape cod bay. found transmission cracked this morning. no chance of repair. using one knot of wind to get farther out and catch the predicted 10 to 20 knots. I will have to finish this trip the old fashion way. heading for georgetown, me... in the rain.

Too long with a out of align drive shaft. less than 20 hours to Georgetown, and repairs, otherwise. Unless i get some serious wind, it may take a day or two to cross over to Georgetown without engine.

CORRECTION: It i the bell houig aroud the fly wheel that cracked. This my b able to be welded, and the underlying issue resolved. I don’t know if the shaft misalgnment was the cause or a symptom.

0949 - SOG 6.6 knots, COG 051 TWS 16 knots. I a at least moving. I will go a bit EAST of the line to Georgetown , as there will be a wind shift to the North from the cirrent Eeaast. With luck, I could be seeing Georgetown in the light of day tomorrow. Getting to anchorage may be a challenge.

Semi-plans

07 April 2019
wil boisvert | Happy
A quiet night in Great Salt Pond, block Iland, RI. After three days of cat naps and rolly seas, it was fantastic to sleep, really sleep. Checked the anchor at midnight, but no significant movement.

Morning was definitely in the 40’s. Ran the generator for an hour to power the space heater. Charlie appreciated that.

Reviewed the weather and charts for today’s plan. I developed a semi-plan that would evolve as the day progressed. I want mmore diesel before I shoot up to Maine. Found Brewer Marine in Plymouth MA. It is open year-round. Apparently I am not in the sailing season.

I hope to be at the south entrance to the Cape Cod Canal between 1630 nd 1730. The flood tide that will drive me to Cape Co Bay begins at 1730. If earlier, I will have to fight a half knot current for awhile.

The CCC is about 15 miles, and I expect to average 7 to 8 knots, so two hours to traverse. That gets me to Cape Cod Bay at Sunset. Give myself th remaining daylight to find suitable anchorage. The winds are expected to be less than 10 knots, and from the south. That will make for a quiet evening along the southern shore. This puts me withn a couple hours of Brewer Marine. I want to be there when they open at 0800. Fill up and get outa Dodge ASAP. Estimating a 0900 departure, I want to had NE by motor sailing due to low winds. This will position me to tack westerly when the wind shifts from the south to the north after midnite. I should then be able to motor sail close hauled in the 10-20 knots expected. This may allow me to reach Georgetown, or I may head for points farther west and anchor out the next 24 hours of unfavorable winds.

Okay, back to the morning commute. Left GSP by 0730. Decided to go around the east side of Block Island to advantage the expected mild winds from the SE. Good choice. The light was great for pictures of the island and the wind milss just off to the east. When you singlehand, and everything is on auto, there is a tendency to take photos, lots and lots of photos. You think you are being artistic, but then you review in the evening...

I was taking an artistic photo of the northernmost windmill with a sea goig bird in the foreground. The bird was just takig off. That qualifies as an action shot, when you are in a sea of non-movement. One shot, two shot, then BOOM. I was photo bombed by a Right whale between Sereine and the bird. Up until this point, the bird was excited to be the main character in this photo shoot. The whale was non-plussed, winked and kept on truckin’. Life is definitly about being in the right place at the right time.

After that, I put up all the sails, and motored on a flat sea at 7 to 8 knots. The game is on!

A Quiet Night

06 April 2019 | Block Island, RI
wil boisvert | Nice and cold
Morning has broken, and likely my nose has not. Cold for sure, but the winds are changing, the sun is rising and temps are rising. It will get up to the upper 50’s.

Eventually I see the north end of Long Island, NY. Then I see Block Island, RI. Then I see a boat a few miles of the port side of the bow. It heads one way, then another. All the time getting closer to me. Eventuall it makes a bee line to me. At this point I am thinking Coast Guard or CBP, and that I am getting boarded. The boat did not look government issue, but whatever.

Eventuall it is a hundred feet off my port ide. I get up and look at them. The fishermen on the back look at me. After an awkward amount of time, I give a little wave. They give a little wave back. I resume sitting and sailing, and they resume doing whatever they were trying to do.

I stated getting a cell signal a while later. This gave me email and internet. Lots of mail. Trump still president.

By 1520 i am turning into Great Salt Pond. I called ahead to Chaplin’s Marna to see about diesel. Thy never answered. I anchored in a quitet place for a much needed rest. Charlie took full advantage of a bed that did not move that night.

Started updating the blog, but hit a wall. Went to bed.

Dealing with a tempermental sea

05 April 2019
wil boisvert | Sucks
The monotony has set in. The wind has slackened to under 10 knots. This is not at all what predict wind predicted. It should be 10 to 20 from the SE, instead it is less than 10 from the N. I am doing less than 4 knots. Time to roll out the genoa. This gets me over 4 knots, and close hauled. It is now a waiting game.

Time take two hours to turn things around, but the winds are now 15 to 20 knots and from the NE to E. I am still close-hauled, but doing 6.8 knots. This is great for making up lost time, but it is on the ragged edge.

I am experiencing the ”Glen Effect”. That is when Sereine is riding a wave, then decides to catch as much air time as possible. There is a sideways component to this, that is best described by example.

I was at the nav table when a GE happened. During the free fall, I was lifted a foot off the seat. While in the air, and still in the seated position, we landed and I was thrown three feet to port. This slammed me into the companionway ladder at the hip. Suddenly I had the urge to listen to Limp Bisquit.

After that, I reduced the genoa to 30%. This greatly reduced the GE. Chrlie was still not satisfied, and spent the next twelve hous, through the night, standing by the engine compartment. This gave him a wall on the port side to lean against.

I was leaving the engine room door open to heat the cabin, but closed it with him so near. As darkness decended, it never rises. I closed up the cabin, and used radar and intermittent prairie dogging to monitor for traffic and not freeze.

I was wet and cold. This was because the Fortress anchor had floated off the bow guide during on of those GE’s. While the tie off prevented it from dropping into the water, it was hanging close. I went to the bow, experienced a few GE’s, and brought the anchor onboard and secured. Ya, I was wet.

The evening was trying to keep from getting too cold, too tired and too careless. It was a non-stop cycle of check the radar, check the chart, check tohe outside, check the dog, climb into the sleeping bag (now also wet), set the timer for 45 minutes, get 20 minutes of sleep, sget up, start the bilge pump, stop the bilge pump, rinse and repeat.

It was really hard to get out of that sleeping bag, partially because I needed sleep, but also because we were healing to port, GEing from time to time, and it was like climbing uphill on a moving hill. I have a few bruises, and it was a real risk of losing my grip, flying, and breaking bones. The smart guy was leaning against the engine room wall.
Vessel Name: sereine
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42
Hailing Port: Georgetown. Maine
sereine's Photos - Main
Portland Maine to Florida
9 Photos
Created 7 October 2018