SV Sereine

Cruising on a Whitby 42 based in Maine

Vessel Name: sereine
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42
Hailing Port: Georgetown. Maine
Crew: Marilyn, Charlie and Wil
About:
Wil has sailed the coast of Maine for more than 30 years, working up from a C&C 25, 34, and finally a Whitby 42. Single handed from Maine to Florida in 2018. Marilyn is the co-captain, nurse and gourmet chef. She joined me in Fort Lauderdale in January of 2019. [...]
30 April 2021
19 April 2021 | Gulfport, FL
02 April 2021 | Punta Gorda
21 March 2021 | Salty Sam's Marina San Carlos
11 March 2021 | Pelican Bay
26 February 2021 | Marco Island, FL USA
20 February 2021 | Man of War Harbor Key West, FL USA
06 February 2021
02 February 2021 | Lake Boca Raton
16 January 2021 | Lake Worth, Florida
06 January 2021 | Hutchinson Island Fort Pierce Florida
06 January 2021
30 December 2020 | Fort Pierce Fl
22 December 2020 | Fort Pierce, Florida
16 December 2020 | St Augustine, FL
10 December 2020 | Stono River
06 December 2020 | Butler Island, SC
14 November 2020
13 November 2020
12 November 2020 | Mile Hammock Bay
Recent Blog Posts
30 April 2021

The Last Episode

We contnued our stay at Gulfport and practiced being sailors and cruisers. A big part of cruising is meeting people. We met many, warm and genuine folk who deftly added brush strokes to our Gulf Coast canvas.

19 April 2021 | Gulfport, FL

Back to Basics

We found everything we wanted in Punta Gorda. Rented a car, and drove to Miami Airport to pick up Pippin, another rescue dog from Virgin Gorda, BVI. She and Charlie are like two peas in a pod.

02 April 2021 | Punta Gorda

The five yard line

We left Salty Sam's Marina early on March 22. We kept our speed under 5 knots, averaging less than 3.5 knots. This is our new normal. There was the usual traffic along the ICW, including the usual wake.

21 March 2021 | Salty Sam's Marina San Carlos

The downhill run

We left the southern end of Sanibel Island back tracking up San Carlos Bay, and running NE along a stretch of the ICW to the Caloosahatchee River, which delivers us to the Sanibel Causeway Bridge. This is how we made our way to Fort Myers Beach. The mooring reservation came through and we enjoyed two [...]

11 March 2021 | Pelican Bay

Cayo Costa

It was a calm and sunny morning on March 1 when we hauled anchors and said our goodbyes to Marco Island. The outgoing current was significant despite being within 2 hours of low. I set the throttle to the lowest possible, and we were traveling at 5.5 knots. Itw as good to get outside of the shoals [...]

26 February 2021 | Marco Island, FL USA

Pleasantly Surprised

Ships Log 210226

Leaving Morehead City

12 November 2020 | Mile Hammock Bay
wil boisvert | rain
Struggled for 24 hours to reconnect the hydraulic steering, finalize wiring, and all the myriad other tasks necessary to get us off the dock. Said our goodbyes to Tommy "Russ" Russell Jr. and Pete a Shepard Point Boatyard. We were full of expectations and optimism. It was sunny and breezy.

Pete2 thanks for mentioning long-term chartering. That sounded exceptionally good by the end of the day (read on). I should also mention that the people of NC have been the best people. Morehead City has always had my back, found my dog, and softened this piece of Deer Isle granite I call a heart.

Since this is my blog, "along with the sunshine, there has to be a little rain sometimes". We had a few hiccups involving air in the hydraulic steering, anchoring on the side of the ICW for 16 hours, starting the engine and using it for the 2 minutes it would run to better position us on the other side of the ICW, so as to not wake up at midnight sleeping on a porthole.

It was an edgy depressing evening as we contemplated this hideous turn of events. Why were both the generator and engine not able to run more than a few minutes. We rationed electricity, not knowing when we could replenish. I bled... the fuel lines multiple times. I wanted to show my appreciation of the situation by using anagrams of swear words, e.g. THIS, MAND, DYSLEXIA.

Finally, bed at 7, up at 0100h, repairs completed by 4, back to bed until 0630h, and some truly mind altering realizations by 1100h. Turns out the pressure was too great to pull fuel from the port tank. Obstruction? I threw 10 gallons of diesel in the almost empty starboard tank and we were off by 1130h. Oh almost forget to mention that I switched the hydraulic lines for the steering during the night. We motored the previous day turning the wheel left to go right. You talk about a mind exercise! It was great to get that corrected.

We entered Camp LeGuene about 1400h. We glided through the swing bridge about 1515h. Glided because the engine kicked out just before entering. Smile, wave and pretend you know what you are doing. Works every time.

We made Mile Hammock Bay by 1600h. Multiple tries to get the hooks to set, but eventually we were able to sit in the cockpit and convince ourselves the worst was behind us.

Will on Voyageur, we are sorry for the late start, and we will try to catch up for dinner. Whoa, flashbacks to Prairie Home Companion.

I started this last night, but now it is 0600h, and the rain has arrived. There is 100% chance of thunderstorms today, and a fair chance of rain Friday. We may stay here today and I get to play in the engine room. Room? Harry Potter had more room. I do want/need to make the 60 gallons of diesel in the port tank available for use. We have used about 3 of the 10 gallons in the starboard tank.



Comments
sereine's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 15 November 2020

About & Links