Serendipity's Journeys

07 July 2013 | Ashland OR
06 July 2013 | Medford, OR
05 July 2013 | Rogue River, Oregon
01 July 2013 | California
29 June 2013 | Redwood City, CA
20 June 2013 | California
22 April 2013 | Green Cove Springs, Florida
10 April 2013 | Fernandina
06 April 2013 | Nassau Harbor, Bahamas
26 March 2013 | Big Major
26 March 2013 | Big Major, Bahamas
25 March 2013 | Rocky Dundas
24 March 2013 | O'Brien's Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2013 | Exuma Sound
22 March 2013 | Exuma Sound

Sea Aquarium!

24 March 2013 | O'Brien's Cay, Bahamas
ldz
The most beautiful sunset imaginable over the west outlying islets of Cambridge Isle. We watched as the sun lowered towards the sea, and then, behind a thin line of dark clouds just above the horizon, a fiery glowing orb shimmering behind rings of darkness- like Saturn.. Then the bottom squeezed through the clouds, a honey orange and we watched raptured from the beach as it sank gracefully into the waters. AHHH.

We had a great day- sleeping in, reading good books until Maggie stirred enough to agree to go for a walk (she has quite a sleeping schedule- she prefers 7:30 pm bed time with 10:am wake up. WOW that's a lotta Z's!) . The water leading up to the beaches here at Cambridge are nearly dry at low tide, so we portaged the dinghy most of the way to the shore and walked across the island to see if we could wade to Bell's rock, a spectacular formation just off the eastern side of the cay. We could have, if Maggie hadn't been with us....

Back to the boat. Michael and Gloria gave us a bag of two wonderful books and FISHING LURES! They have done a lot more fishing than we have, and profited by the experience, so we are grateful for their knowledge ( and bigger hooks). Look out fish, once we are out of the Land Sea Park!

Then we are off in tandem for a snorkel at the aptly named Sea Aquarium, about a mile and a half dinghy ride through unbelievably beautiful and shallow water. Lee was first in off the dingy mooring and immediately popped up and said "HOLY S%^&, I have never seen so many fish!" And he was right. Schools of unafraid Sergeant Majors, yellow snapper surrounded us. I had, for the first time, brought a jar of (uncooked) oatmeal as the guidebooks mention it can be rewarding. REWARDING? I was actually afraid for my nose as the swarm of fish that engulfed the oat flakes was astonishing. Guess that's why there are so many near the mooring buoys- it is the feeding station!

The four of us snorkeled twice around the aquarium, which is, hands down, the most beautiful reef I have ever seen. So many new kinds of coral, astonishing in colors and design. Shockingly lurid yellow tube like structures off the sea floor, which Michael later identified as sponges, not coral. HUGE Queen Angelfish, schools of Blue Tang, lots of fish we cant identify (one can assimilate only so much of the field guide at one time!) especially the smaller ones with less striking shapes to help. None of us wanted to leave, but a couple hours in the water, even with a wet suit, is a bit chilly making.

We made the rest of the beautiful mahi provided by Cotinga for lunch and then took a siesta. Watched the above described gorgeous sunset from the beach and came back to find Michael up his mast taking sunset photos. Talk about dedication! Wish we could have taken a good picture of that, but sadly, our good camera with zoom lens, is on the fritz, post drop. I tried to take a couple with the little cheapy we have been using, but no go. Sniff.

Cherry crisp for dessert on Cotinga and a very enjoyable discussion and review of all fish id books trying to ID all the wonders we saw this afternoon. A perfect day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 38.8
Hailing Port: Tiverton, RI
Crew: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
About: Finally arrived in the Bahamas - Destination 1 achieved.
Extra: OH NO! Is it REALLY time to leave already?
Home Page: ldzemlin@gmail.com

Who: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
Port: Tiverton, RI