Serendipity's Journeys

07 July 2013 | Ashland OR
06 July 2013 | Medford, OR
05 July 2013 | Rogue River, Oregon
01 July 2013 | California
29 June 2013 | Redwood City, CA
20 June 2013 | California
22 April 2013 | Green Cove Springs, Florida
10 April 2013 | Fernandina
06 April 2013 | Nassau Harbor, Bahamas
26 March 2013 | Big Major
26 March 2013 | Big Major, Bahamas
25 March 2013 | Rocky Dundas
24 March 2013 | O'Brien's Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2013 | Exuma Sound
22 March 2013 | Exuma Sound

Cave snorkeling

25 March 2013 | Rocky Dundas
ldz, beautiful
There are several amazing places near Cambridge Cay- yesterday’s Sea Aquarium being one, and Rocky Dundas, today’s exursion, being another. The Rocky Dundas are two high and small islands, that have “underwater” caves accessible by snorkeling at low tide. These are grand indeed, with stalactite and stalagmite formations formed about 15000 years ago during a low water period (300 feet lower than it is now!) when these islands were not islands at all, but a part of the HUGE Bahama Bank Island which comprised most of the islands known as the Bahama islands today, and was only a few miles from the island of Cuba ( now quite a few more than that!)

Speaking of global warming and polar ice melt, I read that if the sea raises only another 10 feet, 50% of the current Bahamas will be underwater. YIKES

Anyway, we spent a grand afternoon snorkeling with Michael and Gloria, exploring the caves and adding to our list of identified fish. The caves were magnificent cathedrals of gnarled limestone and eerily spooky acoustics, with light filtering down from open areas of the “ceiling”. Sadly, as we only had the cheapy camera, there are no good pics, but here is one of Gloria swimming just outside the cave entrance.

As we were dinghying back the mile and a half to the mother ship, a couple zoomed over in a dinghy and announced, in typical cruiser fashion, that there was going to be an imprompty pot luck sundowner party at a nearby beach for all the 20 plus boats at anchorage at 5:30. PARTY!

All dressed in unstained t-shirt finest (except Maggie of course, who wore her new dyneema leash for only part of the evening until she acclimated and realized that her mom had a pocket full of deer jerky treats, which are WAY better than pretzels- then she hung out and enjoyed being fussed over). We re-met couples we hadn’t seen since Vero Beach in Florida, and swapped fish stories. A lovely way to end the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 38.8
Hailing Port: Tiverton, RI
Crew: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
About: Finally arrived in the Bahamas - Destination 1 achieved.
Extra: OH NO! Is it REALLY time to leave already?
Home Page: ldzemlin@gmail.com

Who: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
Port: Tiverton, RI