THE ADVENTURES OF S/V SERENITY AND HER CREW

10 November 2015
10 November 2015
10 November 2015
10 November 2015
10 November 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
08 June 2015
03 June 2015
03 June 2015
03 June 2015

Hobart

22 November 2011
After deplaning in Hobart we walked ourselves and our luggage over to the Red Spot car rental desk. We drove off in a little red Holden Barina. So far on this island of the little Tasmania Devil there are no hookers. Right turns from the left lane, is what I'm talking about and not the entrepreneurs in the red light district. Gordon takes the role of driver and I as navigator. Most of the time it is a good arrangement and this time it went fairly well as we made our way to the Hotel Collins. Our room wasn't ready so we dropped our luggage off with Joe at the front desk. Joe was from Bakersfield, Calif. and actually lived in Ventura, Calif when he was very young. It's a small world. Heading down Collins St we searched for a place to lunch while getting in some sight seeing. At this point we took our first tour of one of Tasmania's Penal Systems. It was Hobart's Old Gaol and the Penitentiary Chapel. We wandered and ducked as we passed through the ruins of the court rooms, cells, and even the gallows site. Very bad Ju-ju there. After walking about a bit and grabbing a late lunch we then headed back to the hotel. The next morning we drove to Port Arthur for a tour of one of Tasmania's old penal colonies. The institute actually closed in 1877 and years later it lured visitors here to search out the ruins. There was a short cruise in the bay that we took around the isle of the dead (cemetary for inmates and workers) and the Pt. Puer (where the young convict boys were held). After spending about 3 hours at Port Arthur we drove down the road to the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park. Here we saw Tasmanian Devils and just to let you know they don't whirl around like "Taz" did in the Bugs Bunny Cartoons. Yeah, I was real disappointed too. We saw a Mama Devil being fed by a park ranger. She left her babies a little behind her so that we were left with a great close-up viewing of the four pups. We boogied over to the roo, wallaby, and quoll area next. Here we were able to pet the wallys and the roos. There was a bird show in another area where we saw a peregrine falcon, a brown falcon, a frog mouth owl, and a white parrot. The animals at this refuge would have little chance of survival if they were left on their own due to injuries. We headed back to Hobart after our visit here and stopped for dinner near the waterfront at "Barcelona" on Salamanca Place. Aussie word for the day: Budgie Smuggler-- a speedo swimsuit.
Comments
Vessel Name: serenity
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 52 Deck Salon
Hailing Port: Ventura/Mammoth Lakes California
Crew: SHERRY AND GORDON CORNETT
About: ON AN ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME--LEARNING,LOVING,EXPERIENCING LIFE TOGETHER.
Extra: FOLLOW US AS WE TRAVEL THE SEAS OF THE WORLD.
serenity's Photos - Main
La Cruz
5 Photos
Created 3 March 2010

THE CREW OF SERENITY

Who: SHERRY AND GORDON CORNETT
Port: Ventura/Mammoth Lakes California