I was up by 06:00 hours this morning. I made coffee then checked on today's weather. Today we were planing on returning back to Oconto. The marine weather forecast called for west winds at 15 to 25 knots and waves 1 to 3 feet in the morning, building to 3 to 5 feet in the early afternoon. Small craft warnings were to be expected to be posted by 14:00 hours this afternoon. Tomorrow's forecast was even worst.
I discussed the weather with the other club members and told them I planned on leaving as early as I can. The winds were already breezy and it didn't look like it was going to get any better. The longer we wait, the rougher it was going to get out on the bay. The other members agreed with me and also planned on leaving early.
I woke Barb up and let her know we were leaving early. She started securing things in the cabin for a possible rough ride back to Oconto. It was around 09:00 hours when we left the docks. The ride from the marina to Menekaunee Shoal wasn't bad. After passing the shoal it started getting choppy. The closer we got to the Peshtigo Lighthouse, the rougher it got. The ride still wasn't too bad though until we made our turn to the west after the lighthouse for our final leg to Oconto. Then we started getting 3 footers. 3 footers in the Bay of Green Bay is a lot rougher than 3 footers on Lake Michigan because of the shorter frequency of the waves. But our heavy steel Roamer cut right through the waves, splashing water clear over our boat. Barb went down below and actually went to sleep on the v-birth. A smaller or lighter fiberglass boat really takes a pounding in these kind of waves. We finely made it back to the Oconto Yacht Club by 11:00 hours, about 2 hours after we left Menominee.