A Cruise Around the Block

10 August 2013 | Portishead Bristol
08 August 2013 | Padstow
05 August 2013 | Falmouth
02 August 2013 | Falmouth
31 July 2013 | Dartmouth
27 July 2013 | Dartmouth
23 July 2013 | Ramsgate
21 July 2013 | St. Katherine's Dock
18 July 2013 | Lowestoft
11 July 2013 | Blythe
09 July 2013 | Stonehaven
07 July 2013 | Wick
26 June 2013 | Stromness
22 June 2013 | Stornoway
15 June 2013 | Mallaig
10 June 2013 | Tobermory
08 June 2013 | Oban
04 June 2013 | Port Ellen, Islay
02 June 2013 | Bangor
20 May 2013 | Holyhead

Pasties Ahoy

02 August 2013 | Falmouth
Rod
Despite the doubtful outlook in the last blog, on Wednesday by lunchtime, our weather scouts in Plymouth, Terry and Jenny Waterfall, rang to say the view from Plymouth Hoe was favourable. The volunteer lookouts at Froward Point, at the entrance to the Dart, confirmed the visibility had improved and the seas were abating. The crew had escaped to Dartmouth for beer and pasties but a swift phone call was in time to prevent the beer if not the pasties and they repaired to Shearwater and we set sail at 2. After a long slog to windward against an unfavourable tide, we berthed in Sutton Marina, Plymouth at 10.30. On Thursday Terry and Jenny escorted us out of harbour on Buscadeer, snapping Shearwater under sail. We enjoyed an easy tight fetch down to Fowey. The harbour was full obliging us to raft up on a mooring buoy. After midnight the surge into the harbour caused us to review the situation and we reluctantly motored off to find somewhere more sheltered up river. We earned a peaceful night and this morning set off bright and early to carry ebb tide down to Falmouth. Shearwater happily beat to windward yet again and we are now moored in Falmouth visitors marina, our destination for the week. Not bad, considering the problematic weather. The crew head back to Derbyshire tomorrow and I await the final crew for the sail back to home port.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Fulmar
Hailing Port: Portishead Quays Marina Bristol
Crew: Rod Shiers and pals
About: sailing friends from down the years and fellow members of Ogston Sailing Club

A Cruise Around the Block

Who: Rod Shiers and pals
Port: Portishead Quays Marina Bristol