Sights and Sounds of Blood on the Sails

07 September 2013 | Ilion to Frankfort, NY
07 September 2013 | Sherburne, NY
05 August 2013 | Hamilton, NY
18 July 2013 | Brewerton, NY
14 July 2013 | Richfield Springs, NY
06 July 2013 | Hamilton, NY
14 June 2013 | Sherburne, NY
15 June 2012 | Seaford, NY
14 June 2012 | Seaford, NY
14 June 2012 | Seaford, NY
14 June 2012 | Seaford, NY
27 May 2012 | Seaford, NY

Boat Camping? Yes please!

07 September 2013 | Sherburne, NY
Ginnie/sunny & warm
After visiting Lock 23 on the Erie Canal, Tom and I have been doing a lot of reading up on travelling through all the locks and visiting all the little towns along the way. This has become a dream we plan to pursue with a passion, next spring & summer. We have started collecting everything we might possibly need to complete our quest. We've purchased a small self standing backpacking tent which fits perfectly on the Caledonia. Tom created a sleeping platform for the tent out of 6 pine boards and has waterproofed them with urethane. They will lay across the bench seats of the boat and then the tent will be erected on top of them. We'll be able to put the whole thing together in ten minutes (& while on the boat) without stepping into the water to do it. There is still room on the boat for our porta potty, Coleman stove, and a small folding dining table. We also plan to build a cooler which will fit under the seat and sleeping platform. We want the Caledonia to have many of the comforts of home (or at the very least, a cheap motel) so we can sleep aboard wherever we go, whether we tie-up to the Locks docks or anchor out in some nice quiet area. For a long journey, we'll probably take a break in a hotel/motel for shower usage and a non rocking bed. :)
Comments
Vessel Name: Blood on the Sails
Vessel Make/Model: Caledonia Yawl
Hailing Port: Sherburne, NY
Crew: Ginnie & Tom McDermott
About: Husband & wife married in 1984, both born and raised on Long Island, NY. Moved up to Chenango County in rural Upstate NY in 1991 & raised 4 kids to adulthood. We have been fishing and boating companions, for more than 32 years.
Extra: Tom's father built our 19 foot Caledonia Yawl back in 2012 for Tom, and we were able to finally bring her home to Sherburne, in June 2013!

Who: Ginnie & Tom McDermott
Port: Sherburne, NY