Shonandra North and South

05 March 2020 | Hobart
27 January 2020 | South China Sea
26 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
16 January 2020 | South China Sea
11 January 2020
09 January 2020 | South China Sea
08 January 2020 | South China Sea
03 January 2020 | South China Sea
31 December 2019 | South China Sea
26 December 2019 | South China Sea
23 December 2019 | South China Sea
21 December 2019 | South China Sea
19 December 2019 | South China Sea
14 December 2019 | South China Sea
13 December 2019 | South China Sea
12 December 2019 | South China Sea
10 December 2019 | South China Sea

Hong Kong! Yay!

12 May 2019 | South China Sea
Ginni
Position. Near Repulse bay, South side of HK Island. We did it! First major leg done and dusted. What a challenge it was! No wind, heat and humidity, then too much wind and rain and lightning and rough seas etc. The last 100 nm were so busy. We skirted the oil and gas fields by going quite far north around it all, but we ran into fishing boats everywhere. They dont always carry regulation lights so sometimes it is difficult to know what direction they are headed. Like fishing boats everywhere they are also unpredictable. The last 40 nm entrance to HK was sheer madness. At any one time we often had about 15 targets on our AIS. We were able to tell when a target 20nm away where they were going to cross our bow or stern and how far from us and when. Only occasionally did we have to change our course to dodge danger. Most of the ships respect every vessel and will change course anyway. The container carriers are the fastest and largest of them all. We saw some huge ships out there today and we had to give up our 2-3 nm range rule. Some of those ships were only 0.5nm away and you could here the rhythmic thump of there engines as they passed. The largest ship was 1209 feet or 369 metres.

We arrived at our intended anchorage at 1400 hrs today only to find that today was Tin Hau Festival. Boats were out everywhere decked out in coloured flags. It's a sight worth seeing. They turn circles in front of Tin Hau Temples and receive a blessing from the priest. Look it up. It's a big deal here. There was no room in our anchorage so we took about an hour to find another. We are presently near Repulse Bay on the Sth side of HK island. This evening a small pod of dolphons graced our boat at anchor. I was in our room at the stern and I could hear their squeaks as they 'talked' to one another. Hunter went nuts again, barking and running up and down the deck. He loves to see dolphins. It was the last thing you expect to see in the big city of HK. Tomorrow we will go around to the RHKYC. There was no room there for us today because they have their annual Spring Regatta on and their yacht basin is full.

We will sleep like logs tonight. John has been up since 0230 a.m and me about the same. We both fell asleep as soon as we dropped anchor.

We are relieved to be here in HK! - John and Ginni
Comments
Vessel Name: Shonandra
Vessel Make/Model: Roberts Mauritius/Norfolk design ext to 14.37 meters
Hailing Port: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Crew: John Casey, Ginni MacRobert
About: John has extensive sailing experience around Tasmania and the East Australian coast. Ginni has sailed in Hong Kong waters and has circumnavigated the globe in a catamaran 1 1/2 times.
Extra: SV Shonandra has had a serious revamp in the last 18 months (2017 & 2018) with most of the work done by John, who is an engineer. All boat systems including keel, rudder and prop shaft, and the rig and sails are either brand new or renovated.
Shonandra's Photos - Main
All
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2019
No Photos
Created 10 January 2019