Shonandra North and South

05 March 2020 | Hobart
27 January 2020 | South China Sea
26 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
16 January 2020 | South China Sea
11 January 2020
09 January 2020 | South China Sea
08 January 2020 | South China Sea
03 January 2020 | South China Sea
31 December 2019 | South China Sea
26 December 2019 | South China Sea
23 December 2019 | South China Sea
21 December 2019 | South China Sea
19 December 2019 | South China Sea
14 December 2019 | South China Sea
13 December 2019 | South China Sea
12 December 2019 | South China Sea
10 December 2019 | South China Sea

Daily Life in HK

19 May 2019 | Hong Kong
Virginia MacRobert | Cloudy, hot and humid.
We have been in Hong Kong for just over a week now, but for me it feels as if I have always been here. Hong Kong is as busy as ever with constant construction noise in the background. The heat is still affecting us, and we are constantly in 'dripping mode', and could shower and wash clothes ten times a day and still not keep dry. Having become Tasmanians we are quite intolerant of the heat and humidity.

Today, mechanics are hard at work on Shonandra's motor. The injectors are to be cleaned, and the injector pump overhauled. Being an old motor the placement of the parts means removing others before getting to the necessary.......I would not like to be those guys in the engine room, squashed in there in the heat. They brought a fan with them knowing what they were facing. It means we have little power for a couple of days - battery power that is. We wont be able to move the boat around until these parts are refurbished and returned.

We had family over to boat to visit yesterday. Two little boys loved everything, and wanted to try the bunks for size, and were amazed we had beds, a bathroom and kitchen etc just like their apartment. Not quite, but they thought so. Of course they noted that the outside was very different to the inside. We hope to be able to take them for a sail before too long.

We had a couple of nights out on a mooring owing to so many boats around the RHKYC and racing. They have now gone so we have moved back to the pontoon and now again have access to club facilities. Coco is back patrolling for beached fish and Hunter occasionally cantering up and down the dock for exercise. This morning he and I took a long walk past the live-aboard sampans at the other end of the yacht basin. (on land of course) They certainly use all kinds of canvas very creatively. There has always been a live-aboard community in this basin and they are serviced by sampans with different functions, eg supplying water, cleaning, and a floating restaurant in the middle of it all. Don't know if we would be game enough to try it though. See the photo.

Will post from time to time in between visits with family and friends and repairs etc. Until next time. Ginni and John
Comments
Vessel Name: Shonandra
Vessel Make/Model: Roberts Mauritius/Norfolk design ext to 14.37 meters
Hailing Port: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Crew: John Casey, Ginni MacRobert
About: John has extensive sailing experience around Tasmania and the East Australian coast. Ginni has sailed in Hong Kong waters and has circumnavigated the globe in a catamaran 1 1/2 times.
Extra: SV Shonandra has had a serious revamp in the last 18 months (2017 & 2018) with most of the work done by John, who is an engineer. All boat systems including keel, rudder and prop shaft, and the rig and sails are either brand new or renovated.
Shonandra's Photos - Main
All
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2019
No Photos
Created 10 January 2019