Shonandra North and South

05 March 2020 | Hobart
27 January 2020 | South China Sea
26 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
16 January 2020 | South China Sea
11 January 2020
09 January 2020 | South China Sea
08 January 2020 | South China Sea
03 January 2020 | South China Sea
31 December 2019 | South China Sea
26 December 2019 | South China Sea
23 December 2019 | South China Sea
21 December 2019 | South China Sea
19 December 2019 | South China Sea
14 December 2019 | South China Sea
13 December 2019 | South China Sea
12 December 2019 | South China Sea
10 December 2019 | South China Sea

Passing Gna Trangh

25 July 2019 | South China Sea
Ginni
Pos 1600 on 25/7/19. 11 55'N, 109 39'E. What a variable day conditions presented to us today! We've had lots of wind, up to 18 knots and then down to 4 knots or nothing and in between. The directions have been changing too, from SE and around to West. The sea has been horribly rough since there is a current running South and the wind is generally opposed to it. We've had the motor on and off all day, and also sailed in between and had to adjust sails and boat direction to accommodate all the changes.Jjust when Shonandra gets sailing in a groove the wind changes strength and direction, again, and so must we. It has kept us on our toes.

Very shortly we will strike out to the open ocean again towards Labuan, on Borneo. It looks like a five or six day journey but could be less or more depending on the winds etc. So far nothing is guaranteed. The coast of Vietnam is dramatic and beautiful, with those imposing mountains as the backdrop. Today we sailed past Nga Tranhg and also past the resort to the south of there where my daughter Gabby and husband, Simon said their wedding vows. What a gorgeous setting that was for their wedding. The resort kept it simple and elegant, and the background of the ocean and setting sun was perfect.

As the daylight fades the 'night-stawkers' fishermen come out in all kinds of interesting vessels, mostly wooden and very colouful. One last night gave me quite a scare. We were just about to sail past it, when they turned their huge searchlight on Shonandra, blinding me in the cockpit. They turned it off, put their motor on and proceeded at speed right across our bow. I held my breath as I wasn't certain they they were going to hold that course and I got ready to swing Shonandra into the wind to stop, as we were under full sail. They increased their revs as I think they too thought a collision was iimminent. As they passed the bow they shone that horrible bright light at our boat a again, blinding me from seeing exactly where they were. They passed our bow by a whisker, and left me feeling really shaken. It's the closest I have ever come to having a collision with another vessel at sea. What goes through their heads when they do something like that, who knows? It was bad enough them cutting our bow but made worse by blinding us with their spotlight. It appears that the fishermen are not permitted to fish in the traffic separation scheme along this part of the Vietnam coast. John said he had seen other vessels going for their lives as we approached their positions. I suspect a very large fine or vessel confiscation the penalty to breaking the rules. It's a good rule that no fishing allowed in the traffic separation scheme as huge cargo ships ply this coast, as well as the odd sailboat! I wonder how many have gone to Davey Jones locker for not paying attention?

Farewell, until tomorrow. I trust you are receiving the blogs ok. John and Ginni
Comments
Vessel Name: Shonandra
Vessel Make/Model: Roberts Mauritius/Norfolk design ext to 14.37 meters
Hailing Port: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Crew: John Casey, Ginni MacRobert
About: John has extensive sailing experience around Tasmania and the East Australian coast. Ginni has sailed in Hong Kong waters and has circumnavigated the globe in a catamaran 1 1/2 times.
Extra: SV Shonandra has had a serious revamp in the last 18 months (2017 & 2018) with most of the work done by John, who is an engineer. All boat systems including keel, rudder and prop shaft, and the rig and sails are either brand new or renovated.
Shonandra's Photos - Main
All
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2019
No Photos
Created 10 January 2019