Shonandra North and South

05 March 2020 | Hobart
27 January 2020 | South China Sea
26 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
24 January 2020 | South China Sea
16 January 2020 | South China Sea
11 January 2020
09 January 2020 | South China Sea
08 January 2020 | South China Sea
03 January 2020 | South China Sea
31 December 2019 | South China Sea
26 December 2019 | South China Sea
23 December 2019 | South China Sea
21 December 2019 | South China Sea
19 December 2019 | South China Sea
14 December 2019 | South China Sea
13 December 2019 | South China Sea
12 December 2019 | South China Sea
10 December 2019 | South China Sea

Sailing back into prehistory

21 November 2019
Virginia MacRobert
Pos 1000, 22/11/19, 08 08'187"S,117 43'.961"E. Sumbawa. This is an island I had never heard of until now. It is very mountainous, seems to be sparsely populated and is very dry and scrubby. It isn't at all what you visualize when you think of Indonesia. As we've sailed eastwards from Lombok the land has become more rugged and drier. Long gone are the shores lined with coconut trees and inland rain forests. It also gives you the peculiar feeling that as you sail you are sailing into prehistory, where there are dinosaurs and weird plants and volcanoes everywhere. This is because there are volcanoes everywhere and strange stunted trees and plants and dry, rocky ground. We have yet to spy a dinosaur. Very soon though, when we finally get to the Komodo group we then hope to see a Komodo dragon in the wild, so we will have fulfilled the dinosaur bit. The landscape of Pulau Sumbawa has a distinctly volcanic look. The lower slopes come down from heights gradually sloping down until they finally reach the sea. You can just imagine the lava slowly oozing its way from the mountain top all the way to the sea and then becoming land. These kind of slopes are the rule not the exception around here. The only place i have seen bofore that looks like this is on the Big Island, Hawaii. We are currently sailing in between Sumbawa and the volcano, Satonda, which is a classic volcano with a round caldera and a lake in it. Sumbawa is also home to Mount Tambora, which erupted in 1812 killing thousands. It's explosion was estimated to be more that 100 times greater than Mt St Helens in the USA. John loves all this because he is a bit of a volcano fan. I don't trust them especially the Indonesian volcanoes which explode regularly, at least one per year.
We have had some great sailing days along this eastern island chain. The sea has been kind, less than a meter, and the wind only up to about 16 knots. The day before yesterday we hiked along at 9 knots for a few hours in such conditions. Magic, and a great performance from lazy old Shonandra. We are stopping each night, which isn't easy, because almost every shore has a coral reef. The first night out we had to move in the dark because the wind changed and left us exposed to lee reef. That was a little tense for a few moments until we escaped from there. The bottom tends to be sandy where there are reefs and not good holding like sticky mud.
Best go out and help John. He's shifting sails and course. Will keep in touch as we progress along the island chain. John and Ginni Note background in any pics.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shonandra
Vessel Make/Model: Roberts Mauritius/Norfolk design ext to 14.37 meters
Hailing Port: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Crew: John Casey, Ginni MacRobert
About: John has extensive sailing experience around Tasmania and the East Australian coast. Ginni has sailed in Hong Kong waters and has circumnavigated the globe in a catamaran 1 1/2 times.
Extra: SV Shonandra has had a serious revamp in the last 18 months (2017 & 2018) with most of the work done by John, who is an engineer. All boat systems including keel, rudder and prop shaft, and the rig and sails are either brand new or renovated.
Shonandra's Photos - Main
All
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2019
No Photos
Created 10 January 2019