Our Ever-Changing Backyard

14 April 2024 | Zakinthos to Sounion, Greece
13 November 2023 | Orikum, Albania
30 October 2023 | Durrës, Albania
29 October 2023 | Porto Montenegro to Athens, Greece
22 August 2023 | Montenegro
18 April 2023 | Monopoli, Italy - Zadar, Croatia
09 April 2023 | Korčula, Croatia
01 April 2023 | Otok Badija, near Korcula, Croatia
15 March 2023 | Mljet National Park, Croatia
11 December 2022 | Uvala Przina, Pelješac Peninsula, Croatia
20 November 2022 | Uvala Podškolj, Croatia
05 November 2022 | Lopud, Croatia

Into Canada!

12 August 2013 | Prevost Harbor, Stuart Island, WA to Madrona Bay, Saltspring Island, BC
Vandy Shrader
After two nights in the same place, we were ready to go somewhere else this morning. Following a gorgeous sunrise and some coffee, we pulled up Scoots' anchor and headed across Boundary Pass (so named because it marks the boundary between the US and Canada) to Bedwell Harbour, to check in at Canadian customs.



We had been to Bedwell Harbour once before, in 1987 during our honeymoon adventure. Back then, there was a tiny dock, with no one around...that was it!

Now, Bedwell Harbour boasts an entire SPA! Poet's Cove Spa and Resort, situated just inland of the big new marina, has showers and a pool and a hotel and a restaurant and...well, Bedwell Harbour has apparently come up in the world since we last stopped in.



We anchored Scoots in a little cove away from the marina, to avoid the crowds at the customs dock. Eric and I each ate one of our last two bananas, so we wouldn't have to declare them to the customs agent and have them confiscated. Then Eric headed over to the customs dock in our dinghy, to check us into Canada. Meanwhile, I bagged up the banana skins, which had almost instantaneously attracted some yellow jackets, and did my best to deter the wasps from lingering around our boat. I'd hardly had time to shoo the wasps before Eric was back aboard. The whole checking-in process had taken place over the phone--consisting of a conversation with "a chipper Canadian lady," according to Eric--from a phone booth on the customs dock, in fewer than five minutes.

We pulled up the anchor and headed out, flying our little Canadian courtesy flag below our spreaders, as well as our big US flag on our stern, on our way to Madrona Bay on Saltspring Island. Madrona Bay, according to Marylou, is a quite anchorage away from the bustle and crowds of Ganges Harbour, but close enough to access Ganges town with just a short dinghy ride. It turns out that she was spot-on about that. What she DIDN'T mention was that the route leading to the bay has nasty, pointy rocks and reefs, not so far under the surface, that you must navigate around carefully. Fortunately, our charts and guidebooks indicated this, so we knew what to do and where to go.

We lined everything up, stayed near the north shore of the channel for awhile, then edged toward the south shore for awhile, around Money Maker Reef, and were headed for the anchorage, when suddenly a fleet of dinghy sailboats (Eric says they were 420's), came into view directly in our path. Apparently we'd happened upon a dinghy race. Fortunately, Eric has many sailing dinghy races in his experience, so he was able to take a look at the layout of the marks and and the direction of the fleet and figure out where they might be headed next. He had me turn Scoots around and head back the way we'd come...then turn around again when the fleet had all rounded a particular mark, and head quickly back through the race course while the dinghies were out of the way. I'm glad, once again, that Scoots is so maneuverable.

Madrona Bay is a little cove, enclosed by tall, tree-covered hills, with houses tucked amongst them; steep stairways connect the houses with docks at the shoreline. Already in the anchorage were a salty-looking ketch hailing from the UK, and a little trimaran.



Shortly after we anchored in 23 feet of water, we collected our laundry and our garbage, about $20 in Canadian cash, and took off in the dinghy toward Ganges.

Ganges Harbour is an interesting place. Out in the harbor, boats of all kinds, in all sorts of conditions, are anchored in a haphazard arrangement: there were newer cruising boats; old, rusting fishing boats; even a double-masted pirate ship. Arrrr! Past the mid-harbor anchorage are an assortment of docks and marinas, including a dock for the many float planes that serve the town.

As we entered the docks, we saw a family of swans! Mom and Dad Swan were brilliant white, with their wings fluffed out in a belligerent posture, while the kids--about half a dozen gray, scruffy almost-grown cygnets--trailed along behind in a loose group.



Finding a dinghy dock was our first task, as there was none obvious. After putt-putting around the Ganges Marina, without success, we asked at the office, where the friendly young lady at the desk pointed us to the public dock, took $3 for the privilege of throwing our trash in their bin, and gave us directions to the laundromat in town.

When we arrived at the public dinghy dock, it was packed with dinghies of every kind--kayaks; leaky, hard-hulled tubs, fancy wooden boats, and the usual assortment of inflatables--arrayed around the end of the dock like petals on a daisy. We were easing in between a hard-hulled rowing dinghy and an inflatable (involving my hanging off the bow, reaching forward to push the two dinghies apart to make a space for ours), when Eric noticed that every dinghy was locked to the dock. Every single one. Fortunately, we have a dinghy lock; unfortunately, it was back on Scoots. We'd been lulled into a sense of security, by the fact that none of the dinghies on the dock in Prevost Harbor were locked.

Back through the marina we went, past the swan family, avoiding the arriving float plane, weaving through the haphazard anchorage, back through the gap in the islands to Madrona Bay. We grabbed the lock and headed back through the islands, zigzagging through the haphazard anchorage, skirting around the departing float plane, past the swan family, to the public dinghy dock. When we reached the dinghy dock again, I eased two dinghies apart, and we brought ours in, tied and locked it, grabbed our laundry, and headed for Ganges.

Our directions were to "look for the Ganges Gas station, then turn down one of the roads next to it." We found Ganges Gas, and then the laundromat (it's called Mrs. Clean). After a short tutorial on how to use the washer, from the friendly "wash, dry & fold" lady, we put our laundry in the washer and went in search of food (it was 2:30 by now). We ended up three doors down at a little pub called "The Local." It turned out that they were a "bring your own food" sort of establishment, so we bought a couple bags of chips to accompany our locally- brewed IPAs, which we consumed on a little waterfront patio that overlooked part of the harbor.

When we got back to the laundromat, our washer still had a lot of time (apparently, the lid latch hadn't connected or something), so the "wash, dry & fold" lady showed us how to stick a nickel in the back of the lid to keep it running. Off we went, to find some real food. The real food turned out to be delicious Thai-inspired stir fry from The Saltspring Wok Bar. If you're ever in Ganges, I highly recommend this little place. The friendly young cook talked with us while he cooked our food; he liked the sound of our plans and asked if we might want a noodle cook aboard Scoots with us.



We put our clothes in the dryer and spent some time walking around town. We visited a kitchen wares store and bought some place mats for Scoots, then we put another toonie--or was it a loonie (Canadian money has very odd names)--in the dryer and walked around the park for awhile, then we put some more money in the dryer and sat on a bench for awhile...Eventually, we realized that our clothes were asymptotically approaching dryness, so we pulled them out, stuffed them in their plastic bag, and headed to the Thrifty Market to buy some provisions.

The Thrifty Market is strategically located next to the top of the dinghy dock ramp (they will even deliver your groceries to your boat for you). We bought a few needed items, and some fun ones--like Saltspring cheese, and a chicken-and-vegetable pie--all of which we loaded into our dinghy, along with our almost-dry laundry, and headed back to Scoots.

Back on Scoots, we hung our laundry from every handhold and hook, and set about getting dinner ready. While the chicken-and veggie pie was cooking, we sat in the cockpit and watched the goings-on in Madrona Bay, most of which centered on some seals hauled out on a floating platform about 200 yards away. The seals were fun to watch: there were some mother-baby pairs, and some yearlings, all warming themselves in the sun. At one point, a lone baby seal arrived, who seemed to be having a hard time hoisting itself up onto the platform. After calling plaintively a few times, it tried again and managed to get almost all the way on.

Our chicken-and-veggie pie was really good ("Canadians know how to make meat pies," Eric says). We ate it in the cockpit as the sun went down, then remained there as the day faded into night, listening to night noises in the dark.

Comments
Vessel Name: Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 48
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Eric and Vandy Shrader
About: We've been living aboard full time since September 2014. We sailed our Able Apogee 50, SCOOTS, from 2012-2021, and are now aboard our Leopard 48, Awildian, since March 2022.
Social:
Awildian, previously SCOOTS (2012-2021)'s Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 14 April 2024
16 Photos
Created 27 January 2024
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2023
36 Photos
Created 27 November 2023
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2023
19 Photos
Created 29 October 2023
37 Photos
Created 21 August 2023
20 Photos
Created 8 August 2023
54 Photos
Created 1 August 2023
93 Photos
Created 27 July 2023
75 Photos
Created 4 May 2023
34 Photos
Created 1 April 2023
19 Photos
Created 15 March 2023
20 Photos
Created 11 December 2022
9 Photos
Created 20 November 2022
24 Photos
Created 4 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 9 October 2022
12 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
5 Photos
Created 30 August 2022
23 Photos
Created 21 August 2022
8 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 3 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 1 August 2022
5 Photos
Created 18 July 2022
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2022
38 Photos
Created 3 July 2022
15 Photos
Created 11 June 2022
1 Photo
Created 19 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 26 March 2021
27 Photos
Created 6 August 2020
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
8 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2019
43 Photos
Created 28 September 2019
27 Photos
Created 27 July 2019
1 Photo
Created 15 July 2019
11 Photos
Created 3 July 2019
3 Photos
Created 6 May 2019
13 Photos
Created 4 March 2019
2 Photos
Created 26 November 2018
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2018
11 Photos
Created 27 October 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2018
6 Photos
Created 21 September 2018
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2018
7 Photos
Created 19 June 2018
No Photos
Created 19 June 2018
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2017
7 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 July 2017
14 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2017
18 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
19 Photos
Created 16 February 2017
4 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
30 Photos
Created 14 December 2016
29 Photos
Created 5 November 2016
52 Photos
Created 23 October 2016
24 Photos
Created 12 October 2016
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 September 2016
43 Photos
Created 2 September 2016
46 Photos
Created 4 August 2016
32 Photos
Created 21 July 2016
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 20 June 2016
17 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 3 June 2016
45 Photos
Created 11 May 2016
10 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 March 2016
12 Photos
Created 14 March 2016
2 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 19 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
No Photos
Created 27 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
19 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
4 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
13 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
No Photos
Created 28 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 5 May 2015
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
35 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
8 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
49 Photos
Created 14 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 26 January 2015
24 Photos
Created 20 December 2014
No Photos
Created 20 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
5 Photos
Created 3 December 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
34 Photos
Created 10 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2014
2 Photos
Created 14 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
32 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
Pics from our trip time aboard Scoots in July 2013.
23 Photos
Created 7 July 2013